Chapter 22

Eren's PoV

Today's the day. Pulling my cloak over my head, I waited for Jean's signal.

The castle was busy as ever even when nightfall, guards roaming around, servants chattered tirelessly and my father. Glancing up his window, I studied his shadow cast by the lights in his room. If he caught me, I'll be dead.

Backing away from the corner, I felt my heart raced at the thought that our plan would fail. Shaking my worries, I fished the canvas in my pocket, I unfolded it and stared at the sketch of Levi's face.

He's so beautiful. I've met princes and princesses in vast lands but none of them ever grabbed my attention. But Levi, with his sharp tongue and strong personality, I was hooked.

I never really planned on sending someone to drew his face for me. It was all his fault, he mentioned in one of his letters that he felt a little insecured with other Omegas because he had short hair and was styled in an undercut. I got curious, all the Omegas I met, males, females, they all had long hair. I just couldn't resist, I requested the best painter in Sina and I felt lucky when the said artist was once a ninja in the far east of our land.

My father's cough pulled me away from admiring the portrait. Inching a little from my hiding spot, I stared up my father's window. The coughing continued and I could almost hear the doctor booming orders to the servants.

My father had been ill for so long and his condition worsen as the days passed. I had the urge to ran to his room and helped him in some way but then again, I had nothing to offer. I barely knew any healing magic. Even if I want to, I couldn't. My father thinks it was no longer useful because we have skillful healers, thus demanding me to focuse on offense magic. Welding swords out of thin air, casting fireballs, bending nature with my will, and everything violent. I tried to reason with him, that learning healing magic could help me notice curses that could possibly cast upon me or anyone but he didn't even bat an eye.

My father planned my whole life. From the time I woke up and sleep at night. I barely had fun during my childhood and those were only the days when my mother was alive. After that, it was all lessons, classes, parties, and other shitty, boring royal things.

I may be a prince but I'm human too, well, human-ish, if Titans were categorized as humans. Nevertheless, I needed this break.

The coughing didn't even pause from my Father's window. I couldnt help but frown, he may be cruel at times but he's still my father. I didn't dare go against his order since that's what my mother told me before she passed away but this time. Only this time, I choose myself.

There were risks with our plan but I am willing to take it. I want to meet Levi.

"Meow!"

I perked up, hearing the quiet sound of Jean's signal. Rolling my eyes at the pathetic 'signal', I crouched low enough and walked towards the stables.

-----

"Jean! You didn't say anything about seeking the prince to your homeland!"

Walking like a cat, I remained silent as I watched the two in the stables.

"Marco, please, keep it down. You're my only hope!" Jean pleaded with his hands together.

"You said that you needed my company because you hate going out in the dark! And you expect me to say yes with your plan?!" Marco whispered-shout at him. I knew that the healer-in-training had set aside his studying because he knew that Jean was a coward in the dark. Everybody knew that Jean was afraid of the dark after all and only Marco tolerated him.

"I know, but you're my only hope!" Jean repeated. "If I asked Armin, he'll turn down immediately and probably tell the King!"

"Of course Armin will say no," Marco sighed. "He's going to be the next adviser after all."

"Jean, I'm here," I finally let my presence known. Both of them turned towards me and immediately Marco tensed.

"My lord!" He whispered and bowed down.

"Hi, Marco," I greeted, gesturing to him to lift his head.

"You know me? My Lord?"

"Of course, not because I have to memorize everyone in castle but because Jean won't stop talking about you," I smirked at my butler.

"Eren! We have a deal!" Jean hissed. When he addressed me by my name, that meant that he was dead serious but I simply don't care. Watching him blush in front of his crush was hilarious.

"Really?" Marco turned to him with a small smile on his lips. "I guess, I'll help then."

"You will?!" Jean perked up.

"Yeah, but you owe me on this one Jean," Marco glared at him before walking towards the carriage.

Promptly, Jean followed him and readied the horses. I patiently waited for them while keeping an eye outside.

When all was ready, Jean assisted me to get inside the carriage. Settling down on the soft cushion, I stared at Jean when he entered and sat in front of me.

"I asked Marco to drive us to my home town," he explained.

"What about the gates?" I asked.

"I sneaked in some sleeping remedy in the guards' drinks during their dinner, they are currently asleep right now."

"Are the gates open?" The carriage started moving and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"You'll see, but I want you to understand Your Highness, that I did all of this to supply your request."

I blinked at him, confused for a moment when I felt it. Magic. Taking a peek at the window, we're in the east gate. The gate opened to the forest, away from the villages. We only open this gate if my Father was in the mood for hunting and it was exclusive just for that activity.

As we drew closer, I noticed all the guards were sound asleep, and once the carriage was a meter away from the gate. The heavy doors glowed lightly before opening silently. I gaped, impressed at the spell that was casted on the gates, and then I noticed that the horses had no footprints!

Once we are outside the castle walls, I sat back down and threw questions at Jean. "How did you do all of this? When did you learn magic?"

Jean sighed, running a hand on his hair. "My mother was a witch, she taught me magic. She figured that I might need it someday."

"That's amazing! Why didn't you tell me this? You could have to help me with my magic."

"My father told me to lay low, the King doesn't know yet and only Marco knows. And I think that it is better that way."

I deflated. I knew why my father was so strict when it came to magic. Mother loved magic but her power fought against her and... Taking a deep breath, I pushed away the past and looked up to the present and the upcoming future. "This is really happening! I'm meeting Levi!"

"Eren," Jean straightened in this seat. "What exactly do you see in Levi?" He asked as if it was a strange thing.

"I don't know," I shrugged, looking out in the window. Admiring the moonlight as the light cast down at the meadows. "What will you say if I asked you why you like Marco?"

Jean immediately turned red with his lips sealed. I could tell the gears in his head were working over drive but after a good minute, he averted his gaze from me.

The horses picked up their pace and we are traveling to the south of Sina. "I just like him. There's something that I couldn't point out but I knew deep inside that..." I paused not sure how to explain the feeling that I felt every time I read his letters.  "I liked him."

As simple as that, I could feel my heart grew fuzzy. I just hope that Levi would feel the same.

----

edited 02/11/21