Shadows (Zuko)

I took a deep breath in, and then out. Opening my eyes again I swung my arms out, making the black shadow hit the tree, knocking it down.

1 in 100,000 people have this rare bending. Even I don't know much about it since I never met another person with it. Some say I'm a prodigy, some say I was a mistake. But I do know that the Fire Nation hates shadow benders.

I only ever practice at night since it's stronger, the day time makes it harder for me to bend shadows. Do I know the actual reason? No. So it's just trial and error.

I attacked another tree with it, making it fall down. When it did I heard a yell, running towards the person.

"Oh my gosh are you okay?....Prince Zuko." I glared at him.

"How did you know it was me?"

"Uh you're the prince? And everybody knows you have a scar."

"Right.." He said quietly. "You're a shadow bender."

I turned my back so it was facing him. "So what. Your nation hates us."

"I'm sorry about that, I heard rumors of one but I never actually been around one. Where are you from?"

"Fire Nation colonies, but your nation killed off my parents simply because they thought they were shadow benders." I chewed on my lip, preventing me from crying.

"I know how you feel. My mom disappeared because of my father." I felt him stepping closer to me. I put my hand up, "Don't come closer to me. I'm already angry."

He stopped walking. "What exactly is shadow bending? Since it's so rare I know that you can't form an actual nation. Is it a sub element?"

"Why do you care so much?" I turned around.

"Well because you're the only one I ever met. Besides, nobody ever talks about shadow bending because nobody knows what it is, or how it works."

I thought about it, if he wanted to he could've taken me already, but he hasn't. Should I trust him? I sighed and sat down on the grass, motioning for him to sit next to me. He awkwardly sat down, I could tell that he was stiff.

"So..what do you want to know first? It's a lot, and since it's never taught I even don't know all of it. What i'm about to say is just things that i've experienced or read in some old, old, old journals."

"I guess everything."

I mentally slapped myself. "Alright, lets just start from the basics of what it actually is. Shadowbending is ability to control darkness and shadows. It was learnt from the Shadow Horse Bats."

"Do you know who the first person is to learn from it?" Zuko asked me.

I frowned, "Sadly no. Since it's so rare, I think every 400 years a person has the ability. Again, I don't know for sure. But I do know that the last person who had it talked about Kyoshi in his journal. The journal pages got ripped out, so that's all that I know from that guy."

"Wow, I didn't know about that."

I could feel his inner body heat radiate on my skin. It comforted me in so many ways.

"Um let's see, oh Darkness is the element of control, consisting of sneak attacks. Shadowbending draws its power from the lack of light, so we're stronger at night."

"Oh like how fire benders are more powerful during the day."

"Yeah, you're right actually." I got closer to him.

"I wish they taught us about this. Is there anymore rare bending?" He asked me.

"Yeah, but I don't know anything about them."