Chapter 3

He did not know how far or how long they had run, all Sabre wanted to do is get himself and Rainbow as far away from that man as possible. Something about him that makes him very afraid; he has not felt this afraid since that time years ago. The brunet shook his head, now isn't the time to think of the past, he has to continue running then make Rainbow tell him exactly what's going and who is that man.

As for Rainbow, he was taking this time to make sense of everything. The answer of regaining his memories was right in front of him, but the question is why seeing his best friend's eyes the key? Maybe it's becasue they had that same feeling when he looked into them, the only exception was he didn't feel love when he looked into Sabre's. Rainbow's eyes widened, Blue was not just his best friend, but his crush. Rainbow had loved the Steve with every ounce of his heart and the day he gained the courage to ask him to be his was the same day Cliff attacked them. All the emotions he felt were returning and would have made him cry out in pain if it weren't for feeling Sabre's hand holding his. The brunet always help ease his pain and worries, this was no different, but at the same time it did. It felt as though there was something else there.

Rainbow didn't realize they were in an oak forest until Sabre let go of his hand and fell to the ground, out of breath. They had run a considerably amount from the cave when Sabre felt all the adrenaline left him. The want to sleep was growing not only from running but fighting Memory earlier and him not sleeping properly for the several weeks was not helping; well properly in insomnia terms. He was beyond exhausted.

While Sabre was catching his breath, Rainbow thought more of the situation, especially the fact Cliff is alive. As far as he knew, Cliff is a human and he still looks close to the same as he did when he first met him, that was decades ago. Then another thought struck him: if one was alive then the other is as well.

'If Cliff is after Sabre, then who is the other after?' Rainbow questioned, the shook his head, 'I need to focus on just Sabre. I don't want to lose Sabre; I can't lose him like I did with Blue'

A sign snapped Rainbow out of his thoughts. He looks over to Sabre who he can see is both mentally and physically exhausted. The red head hopes that he will get some rest, he really needs it, but knowing Sabre, he would probably want answers instead of sleeping. This is the human who will do almost anything to help his friends and will tire himself out if needed. Rainbow should know, he's the cause of most of his worrying.

"Rainbow" Sabre said once he catches his breath, "H-How did you know that guy? Exactly who is he?"

Rainbow shook his head, "I'll explain later, you should get some rest. We can talk in the morning when you get your energy back"

"No rest can wait, for now I need answers" Sabre signed seeing his friend's hesitation, "Please Rainbow"

"Alright" Rainbow responded. The colorful one keeled so his friend did not have to strain himself to stand or look up.

"Who was he? And why did he say he's not letting me go again? And why did you look like you wanted to kill him?" 

As Sabre rambled off his questions, Rainbow stared at his eyes and wished he had grabbed the brunet's bandanna so he didn't have to see those eyes. They remind him so much of his past, so much of the happiness, so much of the pain, so much of Blue.

Mid-way through his question rambling, the brunet notices the way Rainbow was looking at him, looking at his eyes: it was the same way everyone had looked at him when he was younger. Feeling his chest tighten, Sabre thought he could trust Rainbow, that he would be different, but he thought wrong. The brunet closed his eyes and tried to hold himself back as he clenches his fists.

Rainbow realized his friend's hurt expression and tried to comfort his friend by trying to wipe his tears away, but Sabre moved away. With some difficulty, Sabre got up and took a few steps away from the colorful Steve. Emotions that he has not felt for a long time were resurfacing. No matter how much he tried to hold it in while calming himself down, he could not hold it in anymore. He screamed at the red head with so much anger.

"You are like the rest of them! I trusted you! But you are just like the rest of them!" Sabre yelled.

The human hugged himself for comfort, to stop himself from yelling anymore or from breaking more than he had. Yelling at Rainbow did not sit right with him at all, but he could not stand that look and the negative emotions pilling up from his past are not helping.

"Sabre, wait I -" Rainbow took a step forward as Sabre took a step back; seeing the hurt in his eyes was too much.

Rainbow want to hug his friend so bad and to comfort him. Sabre and he took turns taking steps back until Sabre back into a tree where he slides down onto the ground, "Please, Sabre listen"

"Shut up!" Sabre pulled his knees to his chest and covered his ears; he could hear them, he hear them calling him names, he could hear them insulting him, he could hear his and the others screams, "You said you would not hate me! Ever since I took of my bandanna you have been acting different!"

Sabre continue to sob his heart out. He took a deep breath before mumbling under his breath, "They were right: our curse is to suffer."

The Steve heard him and did not like when Sabre was like this. This was not the first time the human had broken down, but Lucas was there to take him way and calm him.

"Sabre please, let me explain!" Rainbow begged, he too was nearing tears, "I don't hate you! I can never hate you no matter what. Please believe me!"

"Th-Then what...?"

"I realized what Memory meant when you had the only thing from my past that would trigger my memories: your eyes"

"M-my eyes?" Sabre look up at Rainbow and saw that he was crying as well.

Guilt filled the human; he was quick to assume and caused his friend to cry.

Rainbow took a deep breath before explaining, "When I saw your eyes, my memories came back suddenly; well some mainly of one person. There was someone else that I use to travel with who had the same eyes as you. His name was Blue, and he had the exact same personality as you: funny, helpful, caring, everything. He and I went on several adventures together." Rainbow paused to look at Sabre to see that the tears drying, "One day, we met someone who we could call friend, but he betrayed us. He blindsided me and took Blue; I can still hear his cries they reminded me of my failure to protect him. Both him and my other friend Green, who I met months later. Green too suffered the same fate as Blue, but by the hands of someone else."

A soft gasp left Sabre's mouth and quickly went to comfort the colorful Steve. Two of Rainbow's friends before he had ever met him and Lucas died; what made it worse was that Rainbow witness their fall and heard their screams.

"I manage to find them" Rainbow continued, but he sounded more distant, "but Blue saved me from a stone sword that was thrown at me to kill me. Green pushed me away from a gold ax. Both weapons killed them instead when it should have been me"

"I am sorry Rainbow about both Blue and Green" Sabre said, running his hand through Rainbow's red locks.

"The one who did all that was the person who attacked us earlier is Cliff, Blue's killer. The other one is Rift, he's Green's killer." The Steve signed, "Even after my memories were taken, I never seen ether until now. As of now Cliff will do anything to get you, just like Blue."

"Why me?" The brunet asked curious.

"It-"

"It's because you are Blue" Rainbow and Sabre look up to a familiar person or people on a tree near them. Both stood up to get up to get a better look.

"No way"

"What are you doing here?!"

"Hello Rainbow, Sabre. How long has it been since we see each other?"