A Married Woman

"Ha! So your coachman actually knows the direction to the palace? This princess had thought the horses of Lu manor's carriage don't walk the way leading to the palace," glared Princess Li Ling at Bai Yu Yan who had taken a seat across from her.

They were currently in the room of Princess Li Ling inside her own courtyard in the palace. Li Ling had been waiting for Bai Yu Yan's arrival since the morning. She had sent a maid to wait for her at the inner gate so that the girl would not lose her way, causing her to become late.

Bai Yu Yan remembered how the princess who was craning her neck outside the courtyard had hurriedly run inside as soon as she saw her coming. Now she was trying to act nonchalant while pretending that she was not waiting for Bai Yu Yan's arrival.

"Princess, it seems I have unnecessarily made this visit. From the look of how energetic you are, it seems like you have completely recovered," remarked Bai Yu Yan looking at the girl in front of her. She looked mighty fine if not for a veil covering the face under her eyes.

Hearing that, Li Ling's eyes instantly became round like a saucer. "Who said I have already recovered? Look here, does this look like I have healed?" snapped Li Ling while yanking down the veil with force as if to prove her words.

With the veil uncovered, a swollen red nose immediately came in view. The red nose was twice the original size and looked like a round ball in her small framed face.

Dumbfounded by the unexpected sight, Bai Yu Yan tried to stone her face to prevent the laughter trying to burst from her stiff lips. She grabbed the teacup in front of her and drank a mouthful of the liquid inside and acted as if she was just clearing her throat.

Unfortunately, Xiao Fan at the back couldn't control the snort while trying to control her laughter.

This made Li Ling even more furious. However, Bai Yu Yan didn't blame her maid. After all, a red nose in the centre of Li Ling's angry face looked extremely hilarious. And her milky white skin on her face that starkly contrasted the colour of her nose made it look like a clown.

"Look, even your maid is laughing at me. I was almost disfigured and you didn't even have the conscience to visit me? Or did Prime Minister Lu tie you to the bed so you couldn't come?" Li Ling pointed her finger at Bai Yu Yan while scolding her excitedly. Her furious little face was scrunched up in anger.

Bai Yu Yan had no idea that the little girl's nose was nearly broken by the impact of the fall. Else, she would have definitely come to visit her no matter how much she didn't want to come to the palace. In order to calm down the girl, Bai Yu Yan personally poured tea in a new cup and put it in front of Li Ling.

"Princess, I had thought of visiting you many times but since His Excellency was departing to Jin, there were some preparations to be done. So I got busy with it. Otherwise, I would have surely come to see you even if I had to push other important matters," said Bai Yu Yan in an effort to pacify Li Ling. A small part of her felt guilty for lying but she promised herself to compensate the girl some other time in the future.

"I knew it. Prime Minister Lu didn't let you leave his sight. No wonder you only visited me after he left. Ai, this couple..." sighed Li Ling with a shake of her head, "We all are adults here. So no need to be embarrassed," her small hand waved at Bai Yu Yan as if she understood her problem.

Hearing her, Bai Yu Yan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. She pinched the area between her brows and said, "Princess, it's nothing like that. I was just busy with the preparations."

Lu Tong Xiao and I are still innocent, ah, thought Bai Yu Yan to herself.

"Alright..alright, there is no need to be shy. I understand," assured Li Ling.