For the Princess

Bai Yu Yan was rooted frozen in her position as the carriage slowly pulled in front of her. Emptiness filled her eyes while the noises of the surrounding drifted far away and eventually disappeared. All she could hear was the deafening silence that was slowly grappling her from all sides and numbing her senses.

Without thinking of anything, her body jolted towards the carriage in a rush and grabbed the curtain, forcefully pulling it aside.

The sudden movement disturbed the girl inside which caused her perfect brows to softly scrunch together.

Before she should say anything, Bai Yu Yan's delicate hand pulled at Lu Tong Xiao's robe and a silent gasp escaped her lips.

A part of his robe was stained with a large patch of blood which was stuck to his skin. Lu Tong Xiao's face had turned pale white like a sheet of paper and his breathing was shallow. The man had already turned unconscious but his forehead was still wrinkling like he was in a lot of pain.

"What happened to him?" asked Bai Yu Yan with a shaky voice.

Xin An Rou looked at the woman outside the carriage and her fingers gently removed Bai Yu Yan's hand holding onto Lu Tong Xiao's lapel. Just when she was about to say something, Xuyi hurriedly ran towards the carriage to Bai Yu Yan's side before he bowed to her in a greeting.

"Madame, we were attacked at the southern border. Master has been stabbed with a poisonous sword," answered Xuyi with a dark face. Even thinking about what happened made his blood boil but in front of so many people, he could only maintain composure.

Bai Yu Yan felt her breath stuck in her chest. How could this happen? In the novel, there was no mention about Lu Tong Xiao getting injured this badly. In fact, it was said how the Princess bravely fought the attackers along with Lu Tong Xiao and his men. When the news reached the capital, the people had cheered their feisty princess who was capable and strong, unlike the sheltered noble ladies. Gradually, people saw how compatible she was with Lu Tong Xiao in every aspect.

When Xuyi addressed Bai Yu Yan as Madame, sitting inside the carriage, An Rou's eyes briefly widened as she turned to look at the elegant woman outside.

"I don't see even a scratch on other people. Why is he alone in this state?" demanded Bai Yu Yan with a cold voice. She wanted to know what his guards were doing when their job was to protect them and not the other way round.

Xuyi silently lowered his eyes along with the other guards who had travelled together with Lu Tong Xiao. They had no answer to it as they knew they had terribly failed at protecting their master.

As Bai Yu Yan looked at the guards, the crowd watched in silence. No one uttered a word until a bell-like voice broke the silence.

"Miss, this Princess requests you not to take out your anger on these hard-working people. It's not them who did not protect His Excellency" Xin An Rou paused with a sigh and looked at the man lying with his eyes closed.

"It's because of this Princess that His Excellency got injured."

Bai Yu Yan knitted her brows hearing what the Princess said and turned her head to understand what the other was implying. However, the Princess did not bother to clarify any further and just sat inside with her eyes on the man.

Xuyi and the other guards stood with blank faces without reacting to Xin An Rou's words. However, the imperial armies had a dark face and their eyes looking at Bai Yu Yan had a hint of loathing.

The people gathered outside had a similar expression smeared on their face. One was a royal Princess and was so much sympathetic towards the servants and the guards whereas the other was the daughter of a small official who had climbed up to her current status and treated people below her like they are nobody.