Deceived

The Empress had brought plenty of maids along so while one was busy with something, the other would be available for the service.

So seeing a drop of wine at the back of her hand, one of the maids immediately pulled a kerchief and helped the Empress wipe it clean.

"Do you know how expensive this dress is? Even if you work all your life, you'll not be able to afford it. But look what you've done!" scolded the maid while emphasizing the worth of the cheongsam after every sentence.

When reminded of it, the other maid started shivering uncontrollably and scrambled on the ground to bang her head on the floor, "T_this servant has made a mistake..but I swear...swear it was not intentional. Please forgive this servant. Please this will not happen again!"

The maid wailed without daring to lift her head. If it was any other house, the Gu house could still save her as her owner but it was the Empress they were talking about. Even if she was killed here right now, no one could say anything against it.

"Okay, that's enough! Bengong is fine so there is no need to make a big deal" ordered the Empress to her maid who had raised her hand to blow another slap and turned to look at Matriarch Gu, being helped by her daughter-in-law to clean the stain, "Matriarch Gu, it seems Bengong had ruined the dress for you. Please let me make it up to you. Although it might not be as good as this, Bengong will instruct the royal tailors to make a copy of this and have it sent to the Gu manor."

"Her Majesty, this one dares not accept any compensation so please don't make this one embarrassed. Moreover, the dress has not been ruined so Her Majesty need not be worried. This material is special jacquard silk, which will not be ruined with a small amount of liquid, unlike the normal silk. After cleaning it, it will be as good as new," assured Matriarch Gu while allowing Madame Gu to clean the splotch of wine on the cheongsam.

Thankfully, the dark emerald colour of the cheongsam prevented the wine from making a visible stain.

However, Madame Gu's mind was not as calm as her mother-in-law. The more she rubbed the stain with the kerchief in her hand, the more she was growing apprehensive with the result. The fabric was soaking the liquid with rapid speed and gradually, it was rising to become bloated on the outside like a thin paper.

Madame Gu tried a few more times but the result was no different. Finally giving up, she clutched the kerchief in her hand and raised her head to glance at Matriarch Gu who was also looking at it. Not knowing what to do, Madame Gu slowly rose to her feet and turned towards Bai Yu Yan.

With Madame Gu retreating to the side, which cleared everyone's views, their eyes fell on the part of the dress where the wine had been spilt to see if it had been restored. Unexpectedly, what they saw was a patch of swollen fabric.

"What is that?" spoke a woman aloud without realizing. She was hurriedly stopped by another woman at the side, "Shhh...dodon't say anything."

No matter what, it was still Matriarch Gu who was associated with this dress. So they could not carelessly talk about it.

"Why does it look bloated? Isn't this jacquard silk? I thought it did not soak liquid easily in such a short amount of time," whispered another.

"Oh my god! Does this mean that Matriarch Gu was deceived by Madame Lu into believing it is original jacquard silk when in reality, it is not? Tsk, one can't be judged by their looks."

"I had never thought this seemingly innocent woman would be so shameless. But to think that she would be daring enough to do this to Matriarch Gu..."

To think they had been praising it all this time, no one saw it coming. The gazes holding admiration immediately changed into one of disgust as the surrounding people looked at Bai Yu Yan who had not spoken a word.