Trouble Brewing

The servants in the Gu manor had been extremely busy since early as a week. The number of people coming in and out of the usually quiet manor was especially large on this day.

At the end of the summer, there was a celebration that no one could ignore. The nobles in the capital regarded the day with so much importance that it seemed as if the celebration was the welcome banquet for the incoming Autumn.

It was the birthday celebration of none other than the esteemed lady, Matriarch Gu. She was the head of the Gu family which gave birth and trained the greatest Generals of the Xin kingdom.

After the early departure of her husband, the late General Gu, in the battlefield, Matriarch Gu had single-handedly raised Master Gu. Everyone had expected the downfall of the General's house after the death of the Master of the Gu household. However, the currently retired General Gu turned out to be even more formidable than his late father.

It came as the biggest surprise to the people of Xin kingdom which not only proved the ability of Matriarch Gu but also stabilized the position of Gu household in the capital as an asset to the country. Hence, Matriarch Gu became the revered figure in the capital, to whom, even the royal family has to give face.

Bai Yu Yan had come to the Gu manor early in the morning. The Lu manor had received an invitation for the birthday celebration immediately after the royal family. In fact, Madame Gu had personally gone to Old Madame Lu with an invitation like every year.

However, right now, Bai Yu Yan was not in the Gu manor as a guest for the birthday. She was there as the designer of Matriarch Gu, in order to confirm if everything was perfect with the dress.

In the days when she stayed at home to take care of Lu Tong Xiao, she had left most of the work of the shop to her staffs. It was a rather noble experience for her to take a leave from work in order to take care of someone, and her husband nonetheless.

Fortunately, the design for Matriarch Gu's dress had long been prepared, which made it easier for the dress to be completed on time.

The guests had already arrived outside in the main hall. Almost all the nobles in the capital and even outside had made sure to attend the function even if they had to push other matters aside.

Sipping from the crystal glass in their hands, men and women separately clustered in small groups to converse. Lively chatters and loud laughter filled the atmosphere on the men's side while the women passed compliments to each other's jewelries and dress.

Donned in a light peach dress, Bai Yu Yan quietly sat on a side as she listened to the conversation between the women. The upper part of her dress had complex patterns of embroidery which was a few shades darker peach color while the skirt had numerous layers of chiffon and net fabric to increase the volume of the flair. Unlike her usual simple jewelry, a crystal head chain covered her forehead hairline.

With her small frame, Bai Yu Yan looked such a pretty but delicate beauty that people couldn't help occasionally directing their eyes at her.

Whenever her mother-in-law introduced her to someone, she would put down the crystal glass to smile and greet the person. Old Madame Lu's face was full of smile and a subtle pride when people complimented Bai Yu Yan. To everyone, this was the indication that Old Madame Lu had really accepted her as the daughter-in-law of the Lu family.

"Madame Lu has already been married for almost six months now, I wonder when the Lu manor will get to hear the good news," giggled one of the Madames which prompted everyone's curious eyes to be directed at Bai Yu Yan's stomach.

Hearing her teasing words, Bai Yu Yan nearly choked in her alcohol. Speechless, she followed their gaze to look at her own flat abdomen. What are they looking at, ah?