0 : Prologue

Sunlight peaks through the curtains, gently and lightly kissing my eyelids as the birds chirp in harmony as if they're greeting the cool morning air. 'What a good day for a holiday, ' I plan but my heart sinks so suddenly that a cold shiver runs up my spine. Everything doesn't seem as beautiful as it was a second ago anymore.

"What is this sudden dread...," I mutter to myself once jump out of bed immediately and contact the hospital that most heroes go to. The phone beeps a few times until a nurse picks it up. "Hello, XX Hospital. How can I help you? " she asks. "Uh hi! Um... may I ask if there's any badly injured heroes being attended to at the moment? " I ask. "That's a classified information miss. We do not give out information about any of our patients," his voice sounds stern through the phone.

I sigh with a high concentration of cringe to the nickname that the Hero Association gave you and muster the courage to tell him my name. I purse my lips and whisper---

"M-Mortal... Ange--,"

"I'LL CONNECT YOU TO THE DIRECTOR RIGHT AWAY, " he replies in a rush and connects the call to the director. And I'm left with a short trail of beeps and a loud internal screaming. From his panic reaction to my name, something terrible must've happened yesterday. The only thing I can hope for is that none of those injured heroes are on death's doorstep. 

"Mortal Angel, is that you? " a old man picks up. "Y-Yes.. It's me," I reply while trying to conceal my silent aggression towards that nickname. It's been almost a year since I got that name but I still hate it so much. "Tell me, doctor, did something happen last night? " I ask the old man. "The Heroes Association held a meeting with criminals with 3 A-Class heroes and unfortunately, one of the criminals went on a rampage and badly injured those heroes, " the doctor says in a gravely tone. "Just one?" I ask to confirm if I heard that right. "Yes. I was informed that he was so strong and vile that he was laughing when he beat up these poor heroes," he replies. "What about the other criminals?" I ask. "They were also badly injured due to the same person but they're not as beat up so right after they're treated here, they're sent back home for full recovery, " the director says. "Please come quickly and have a look at them," he adds.

'How could one person defeat so many people in room..,' I'm in disbelief. "I'll come as soon as possible doctor, " I inform and quickly hang up the phone before changing my clothes into something more decent.

.

.

I left the hospital with the feelings of pity and anger. How could a human be so cruel to disembody someone's body part? How could a human lack the sense of humanity towards other human beings? How could someone be so evil?!

I angrily step into a ramen shop to cool myself down. "One regular ramen please!" I try suppressing my anger. "Coming right up! " the chef replies.

The smell of the soup slowly calms me down, followed by the soothing sound of pouring tea. I take a deep breath and sigh slowly. Just when I've calmed down, the news reported about the three heroes I healed this morning. The feeling of burning fury sparks again. "Chief! A bottle of sake please!" I request with a shout. The chef replies back with his own shout.

"Drunk in the morning... hm.. not something the children should see but hey, all I can say is--- good luck in whatever it is you're handling," the man sitting next to me voiced out as he sips his drink from his teacup.

"Ugh.. I'm sorry... I'm just so frustrated!" I hide my face by facing down on the table. "Let me guess--- you didn't have any breakfast yet?" he asks in a teasing manner. "I couldn't! I didn't have time for breakfast!" I say. "What career makes a person so busy that they don't have time for breakfast? Even a piece of bread?!" he looks shocked. I look at him sarcastically. He purses his lips and guesses "You're a doctor?". "Bingo," I say. "What happened?" he leans closer, lending his ears to me. "It's just... I like healing people," I start while the owner place a ceramic bottle of sake with a matching ceramic cup in front of me. "But the more patients I get, the more I wonder what kind of evil being would be so cruel to put their victims in so much agony," as I tell him, the news show the accident of the rampage and the injured heroes. We pause and look at the news. "But don't you think that sometimes... a little injury could make them learn?" he asks as he pours me a cup of sake without looking away from the television. "I can tolerate it if it's a slap, but cutting someone's arm is just pure evil!" I answer in fury as I chug it down.

"How painful it must've been for him to lose a whole arm...," I add. The image of Blue Fire's open scar of his missing arm burns in my memory.

"Heh. You're so innocent," my ears pick up a small chuckle from the man. "Excuse me?" I'm offended. "Cutting a man's arm is not pure evil. Pure evil is manipulating what is portrayed as good to uphold their bad behaviors and making defense seems as vice versa," he says with a halfhearted smile on his face. He does a fake cough and pours me another cup of sake. "Thank you," I say in gratitude for willing to pour me a drink.

It feels a little awkward now but what he said did made me think. There's a truth in his statement that I find myself agreeing.

 "No prob. By the way, I'm Garou," he points his thumb at himself. "I'm (Y/n)," I hold out a hand and he politely shakes it. His large and rough hand grips mine so firmly that it reflects the amount of confidence he has in himself. He's a very confident man and looking at his good posture, it's no surprise that he is.

A ting of the bell signals our orders are ready. The chef places two bowls of ramen right in front of us. "Enjoy!" the chef is smiling widely at us.

"Thank you for lending me an ear. It feels great to be heard sometimes," I say. "You're welcome. Once in a while, listening from other points of view is like a breathe of fresh air," he says. His previous statement still lingers in my mind. "Maybe you're right," I say with a smile.

Our cups click and we both chug down our drinks as the sun is nearing its' peak.

Wordcount: 1163