The Dream.

Lucy Morgan was an artist traveling from town to town she stayed the night a town house that was owned by a very nice landlady so she lived there and was about to leave to go to Kingston when it dark out later that night she went to bed and slept.
Later that night Lucy Morgan had a dream.
She was walking up a dark staircase and when she got to the top, she walked into a bedroom.
The bedroom carpet was made up of large squares that looked like trapdoors.
And each of the windows was fastened shut with big nails that stuck up out of the wood.

In her dream, Lucy went to sleep in the bedroom, but during that night, a woman with a pale face, black eyes and long black hair slipped silently I to the room.
She leaned over the bed and whispered, "This is an evil place, Flee while you still can."
Then the black haired woman grabbed her arm.
Lucy Morgan woke up with a scream and had lay awake for the rest of the night, shivering and shaking with fear.

In the morning she told her landlady that she had decided not to go to Kingston after all.
"I can't tell you why," she said "but I just can't bring myself to go there."
"Then why don't you go to Dorset?" The landlady asked "It's a pretty town, and it isn't too far."
So Lucy Morgan had set off to Dorset. Someone told her she could find a room there in a house  at the top of the hill.
It was a pleasant looking house, and the landlady there was a plump motherly looking woman was nice as she could be. "Let's look at the room," she said. "I think you will like it."

They walked up a long dark curved staircase, like the one in Lucy's dream.
"In these old houses the staircases are all the same!" Lucy had thought.
But when the landlady opened the door to the bedroom, it was the room in her dream, with the same carpet that looked like trapdoors and the same windows fastened shut with big nails.
"This is just a coincidence." Lucy had told herself.
"How do you like it?" The landlady had asked.
"I'm not sure..." Lucy said.
"Well, take your time," the landlady said. "I'll bring up some tea while you think about it."

Lucy sat on the bed staring at the trapdoors and the big nails. Soon there was a knock at the door.
"It's the landlady with the tea." She thought.
But it wasn't the the landlady. It was the woman with the place face, black eyes, and the long black hair.
Lucy Morgan had grabbed her things and she had fled.