Chapter 15: are you not happy with your son?

~a few days since freydis gave birth~

Fiadh POV

I watch at the end of the table as freydis held her new baby, she is happy and laughing that she has a child. Ivar won't even look at his son, so I get up from my seat and walked towards her and her child. "May I see him?...I promise I won't hurt him" I say gently, she looks at me with a smile but I see worry in her eyes as she picks up her baby and I take it in my arms, I see what the nurses where talking about, the baby's lower jaw was deformed slightly. "He is so beautiful, don't you agree Ivar?" I say as Ivar walks into the great hall with his crutches, "hmm...what Fiadh?" He says, "I said your child is beautiful, don't you agree?" I say as he walked to a stool and sat close by, he just grunted. "Can you not speak today Ivar? Hmm, are you ill?" I ask jesting a little, he looked up towards me, freydis and the baby in my arms. "Do not tease me Fiadh, I am thinking..." He says and rests on the wall beside him, "thinking about what, a name for your son? you have yet to decide so, I heard freydis liked the name baldur, didn't you freydis?" I ask her as I gave her son back to her, "yes, baldur as in the God of light, a beautiful name for a my beautiful special boy" she while looking down at the baby, "have you been able to feed him?" I say as I sit before her, pouring some water for myself and her, she sighs and shakes her head, 'maybe if I shifted...the baby could feed from me, I am unsure it would work' I thought while taking a drink of water.

Freydis POV

"I am unsure how to feed him, he can't take my milk, he refuses too and it upsets me greatly" I say while running my finger over baldur's cheek, "if that...that....doesn't eat then it will die" Ivar spoke up unable to even human, he is being unreasonable. "Perhaps the baby likes oats and berries? We could crush some up for him, I loved berries all my life even before Aoife found me in the storm, while I was traveling I found out why she found me, as you know what I am, I found others like me, the alpha female stole me from my mother as the her pack tore mine down like..well humans, it was a bloody fight years ago, my memory's came back after another wolf that had an ability to help me remember..." Fiadh explained,chuckled and stop paused for a moment , "I must learn to stop myself from telling all that is in my head, it may lead to bad things, I learnt not divulge such secrets of my kind to humans, I will leave you and Ivar to each other" Fiadh finishes as she gets up and leaves Ivar and me to talk or stare, he won't speak to me.

"She may be right, we could try berries but I don't like how she spoke as if what she is...is higher than humans, she has changed since you last saw her yet you pine over her like some lost dog, I know you both went away TOGETHER!! How could you?!" I spoke irritated and yelled, baldur whined and kicked out his little legs. "Don't you speak to me that way!! I am your husband, you will honour me! I am a god!, she is....Fiadh is....shut your mouth" Ivar yells angrily but then...shy's away, what is going on with him? Before I dare say anything back to him, I am stopped by him glaring at me as a warning, I submitted and stood up with our baby but I am stopped by his hand on my wrist, Ivar then picked up the baby's hand, our son made a noise he'd never made before...our baby son laughed as he lightly gripped ivar's thumb, I think Ivar himself smiled, "our beautiful son.." he says quietly.

Ivar POV

I suppose I have to make some effort to find this baby appealing so I reached out for it as freydis was going to leave after I yelled at her again, it's tiny hand took a hold of my thumb, for a moment I smiled "our beautiful son.." I say but I really mean they I have to get rid of this baby, it won't live past the year, I have to kill it or leave it somewhere to die much like how my father wished for me to be when I was a baby too. Freydis left me on my own as she wanted to walk around Kattegat with the baby, "guard! Ready my chariot and horse!" I yell knowing my gaurds are outside the door of the great hall, I need to clear my head but I can't leave this place without my brothers attacking me and then taking over Kattegat.