Prologue Chapter: Despair Again

??? POV

The room I sat in was completely empty and dead silent, save for the sound of my own feet tapping against the floor. For my lunch break, I gotta say... I'm starting to feel like I'm going to die of boredom. But it can't be helped since everybody else has important business to deal with, leaving me on my own for the time being.

I thought it would be like that for a little while longer, that is until I noticed what sounded like heels clicking against the floor from outside. Sounds like someone was coming. I spun my chair around to face the door, waiting for whoever was approaching to finally show up. And surprise surprise, it was just some random Future Foundation member that arrived. I normally would just leave if the employees I don't know showed up since it's too awkward for my liking, but it seemed like she was here for business since she immediately handed me a file that she brought with her.

"Huh? What's this for?" I questioned my fellow employee.

"You have an important task that you have to complete. We were going to give it to an entire group of people, but both Naegi and Ikusaba insisted you could complete this on your own and quicker too." The woman explained as I opened up the file to see what the fuss was about, sitting upright in my chair as I did so.

"This is..."

"To elaborate on this further, you are to head to Towa City and locate the Ultimate Hope, Izuru Kamukura, as quickly as you possibly can. Since you and him have somewhat of a past together, Naegi and Ikusaba probably assumed you could convince him to come quietly. Ikusaba was especially certain of this fact." The woman explains. "I should also mention that Byakuya Togami has received information about two captives being held in Towa city. Perhaps you could assist him on that mission as well... if the opportunity arises"

"Towa city you say? I heard that place isn't necessarily the number one spot for tourists to visit at this time of year." I mentioned this as I closed the file.

"Are you going to refuse the mission then?"

"No. Makoto and Mukusaba entrusted me to do this, and I wouldn't wanna let them down. Plus... I do want to catch up with my good friend. But... I have a question." The Future Foundation member gave me a puzzled look as I said this.

"Who else is aware of this mission? Is... she privy to it?"

"...you mean that girl, huh? If so... then yes. She's aware, but we refused her request to go along with you for now. The Hope's Peak headmaster told us that it was too risky for her." I expected an answer like that. I guess Jin really intends to protect as many of his students as he can even now.

"Very well. In that case, I won't accept failure at all. I'm sure if I complete this it'll put her mind at ease." I stood up from my chair and the both of us left the break room. As we entered the hallway.

"Not only that, but if Izuru is there, then I'm certain that I'll bear witness to something truly beautiful within those city's walls. So I'm not backing down."

"This is why all the other employees think you're a weirdo." The lady tells me before sighing

"The only thing that's weird to me..." I pause as the smell of alcohol fills my nose. "...is that you smell like an entire bar just before closing time."

"I wouldn't be irresponsible enough to drink on the job. You can blame that other woman for this stench." The employee explains with an annoyed scoff. "She was supposed to hand you this mission an hour ago, but she got drunk and forgot. So I had to go and get it from her."

"I'm surprised she didn't throw up all over you." I admit. I really wish I didn't mention anything now, I do not feel like talking about her right now.

"I learned from your mistakes not to get too close when she stops responding after too many drinks."