Nineteen - Jealous

Dylan woke up alone the next morning

Dylan woke up alone the next morning. Rosalie had left in the middle of the night and he couldn't help but feel hurt at the thought. Disappointment flooded him when he noticed her absence. He had put himself out there by asking her to stay, only to be crushed by her rejection. He tried to get his mind off of it by thinking that maybe she had a legitimate reason to leave, but his mind kept wandering to dark thoughts.

The next few days, he buried himself in work. He was too embarrassed to face Rosalie after what had happened and it seemed she felt the same way. He hadn't seen her for a while but that was mostly because he was at work all the time. But, the little time that he was at home, Rosalie kept to herself in her room and he couldn't find the courage to bother her.

Once the situation with the biodegradable fuel had been dealt with, things eased up a little at work and he had more free time. He just wanted things to go back to normal with Rosalie but it seemed, she didn't share that sentiment.

She stayed out most of the day, returning even after dinner. Whenever she was home, she was in her room. Every time Dylan tried to talk to her, she would give him short responses and end the conversation as fast as possible. She had an excuse to not hang out with him whenever he offered to do something together.

The constant ignoring made Dylan feel horrible. He was confused at the sudden change in her behaviour. He thought she liked spending time with him, but that wasn't proving to be true anymore. What was worse, she was deliberately avoiding him. At this point, he would have settled for a normal conversation with her but she was never even around for that. All of this had left him feeling upset and hurt.

About a week and a half after that night, Rosalie called Dylan while he was in the office, informing that she was coming over to talk to him about something important. He assumed it had to be something work related, but even then he was elated that she called him and not Cole.

Recently, she had gotten a lot more closer to him, much to his disliking. Instead of setting up a meeting with him regarding their joint project, she would now call Cole. It pissed Dylan off but he couldn't do anything about it without coming off as a jealous husband. Even though, by now, he had admitted it to himself that he really liked Rosalie, and was, in fact, very jealous.

Dylan was heading into his office when his eyes landed on Rosalie. She was here and she was talking to Cole next to the elevator. This was it. He had had enough. Two can play this game, he thought as he walked into his office and called Courtney.

Courtney was a newly hired chemist and despite knowing he was married, she had been trying to put the moves on Dylan ever since she arrived. Dylan didn't want anything to do with her. For some reason, just the thought of being with a woman other than Rosalie was revolting to him. But today, he planned on turning the tables and giving Rosalie a taste of her own medicine.

As expected, Courtney showed up in his office with her hair loose and the top button of her top undone. Dylan asked her to brief him on the latest developments regarding the fuel and she set down a file in front of him as she began explaining while leaning on the desk next to him.

Dylan wasn't really paying much attention. His gaze kept shifting to the door while he waited for Rosalie. Soon enough, she barged in without knocking.

"Oh, hey, Rose," he greeted casually.

Rosalie's eyes drifted to Courtney who stood way too close to him. Dylan mentally patted himself on the back when he saw her eyes flash with anger. It was clear to him that she felt jealous too.

She walked over to his desk and dropped her purse down in one of the chairs placed in front of it. She stood in front of him, with her hand resting on the back of the chair.

"I need to talk to you," she announced.

Dylan looked up at her and nodded, waiting for her to speak.

"Privately," she added, irritated, as she dashed a look at the girl standing next to him.

"It's okay. She can stay," he replied with an evil smile. Courtney looked shocked at his response but then gave Rosalie a sly smile.

"As much as I would love that, this conversation isn't supposed to be public," she asserted while returning Courtney's fake smile.

"Oh, Courtney's not the public," Dylan said with a wave of his hand. He could see that he was getting on her nerves. Unfortunately for her, she couldn't start an argument with him in the office.

"Dylan, this isn't a joke," she said, angrily this time. She glared at him and for a second, he was actually afraid of her.

"Fine," he finally gave up. He had pushed her far enough.

"Please, excuse us, Courtney," he said while gesturing for her to leave.

Rosalie followed her movements with her eyes until she had left the room. When she finally turned back around to look at him, Dylan prepared himself for her reaction to the little stunt he just pulled. Instead, she completely ignored all of that and said words that he could have never prepared himself for.

"I think I'm pregnant."