Twenty One - Mad Man

Dylan had been avoiding Rosalie ever since their pregnancy scare

Dylan had been avoiding Rosalie ever since their pregnancy scare. She couldn't understand the reason for his behaviour. At first, she didn't think anything of it and talked to him normally, but Dylan snubbed her each time by being rude to her for no reason. Eventually, she gave up on talking to him.

If he wanted to go back to being his usual asshole self, then so be it. She wasn't going to let herself be affected by it.

Almost a week had passed since the interaction between Rosalie and Dylan had been reduced to zero. Neither of them made an attempt to speak to the other and things had gotten back to the way they were in the first month of their marriage. Actually, one could say they were even worse, considering back then they at least spoke to each other, even if it was just to fight. Afterwards, sex had brought the two together, but this time around, both of them were too mad to even ask for that.

It was a rainy afternoon and both Dylan and Rosalie were home. Dylan was cooped up in his room when Rosalie got out of hers to make herself some hot coco. When she arrived at the kitchen, she decided to make a cup for Dylan as well. Maybe, it could serve as a peace offering. Even though, they were both pissed at each other, she didn't exactly know why this unnecessary feud had started. Granted, she was only retaliating to what he was doing but the silence was killing her at this point.

Just as she was pouring the delicious beverage into mugs, she heard Dylan enter the room. Finally deciding to break the streak of silence between the two, she spoke up.

"Hey. I'm making hot coco. Would you like some," she offered, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Oh, so now you're talking to me," he snapped back, catching her off guard. "What happened? Is Cole too busy today," he scoffed.

"What? What does he have to do with anything," Rosalie questioned. This was definitely not the direction she expected this conversation to take. Sure, she had been spending a little more time with Cole, but that was only because things with Dylan were weird. And when you spend so much time together, you are bound to at least become friendly with each other.

"You tell me," Dylan yelled. "You're the one that's been cozying up to him."

"We work together," she shouted.

"I work with a lot of girls too. You don't see me hanging out with them all the time," he hissed.

"He's just a friend, Dylan," Rosalie asserted, trying to calm herself down.

"Whatever. I'm not having this conversation with you. I'm leaving," he grumbled and made his way out of the house.

Rosalie could hear the sound of rain outside. She groaned when she realised she had to go after him. This was clearly all a misunderstanding and could be cleared in five minutes. And if she didn't stop him now, who knows how many more days of the silent treatment she would have to deal with.

She ran after him and called him back from the porch. The rain was heavy and it would only take her a few seconds in it to get soaked. Dylan was making his way to the gate of their house and couldn't hear her from this far.

The cold water hit her hard as she stepped under the sky and rushed after him.

"Dylan, come back!" She shouted and this time he finally heard her and turned around. His T-shirt was sticking to his skin and Rosalie's T-shirt and shorts were also completely drenched in water by now.

"It's raining cats and dogs. You'll get sick," she shouted over the loud rain as she came to a stop a few feet away from him.

"Since when do you care," he shouted back.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Rosalie asked.

"Nothing. Just forget it," he mumbled and turned around to walk away, again.

"Why are you acting this way," Rosalie yelled, exasperated.

"Me?" He turned back around as he pointed to himself. "You're the one that's been ignoring me all the time," he shouted while gesturing towards her.

"I'm not ignoring you," she lied and turned her face to the side, unable to look him in the eye.

"Don't try to deny it, Rose. I see the way you've been treating me lately. You stay out all day. The few minutes you spend at home, you're locked away in your room. You ran off every time I tried and talked to you. In fact, the only time you actually had a conversation with me was when you thought you were pregnant. And the moment you found out you weren't, you went back to ignoring me."

"Don't act like you haven't been doing the exact same thing," Rosalie said pointedly.

This seemed to piss Dylan off even more. At that moment, his anger could match that of the thundering clouds.

"God, how can you be so selfish," he muttered as he ran his hand through his wet hair.

"You're just mad because I haven't been sleeping with you," Rosalie mumbled, mostly to herself, as she rolled her eyes.

Dylan's head immediately snapped towards her and hurt flashed in his eyes. It was quickly replaced by rage as he took a few steps closer to her. "Is that how little you think of me," he spat.

"Why else would you be getting so riled up over nothing," she shouted.

"Because I'm in love with you, Rose," he roared.

Rosalie was visibly taken aback by his words. It took her a moment to process what he had just said. She couldn't believe what was happening. Maybe, she hadn't heard him correctly.

"What," she almost whispered.

Dylan grabbed her face in both his hands and kissed her like there was no tomorrow. Out of habit, she kissed him back. This kiss was different from all the other ones they had shared. It was like he had something to prove. Like, he desperately needed it, needed her.

They made their way back into the house, still connected at the lips. Once, they were inside, Dylan finally pulled away. Rosalie tried to catch her breath and wrap her mind around what had happened. The fear slowly started to creep up inside her as Dylan's words rang through her head.

"Aren't you going to say anything," Dylan asked while staring longingly at her.

"What do you want me to say, Dylan," she sighed.

"Seriously? I told you I'm in love with you and you have nothing to say to that?"

There they were again. The words that she wished she hadn't heard.

"Dylan, I..." She thought of something to say but couldn't come up with anything. She turned around and took a few steps away from him as she pushed her dripping hair away from her face trying to come up with an appropriate response.

"It's fine. I think I've got my answer," Dylan said stiffly and turned around to walk back out.

"This is why I said we should have rules," Rosalie called out in an attempt to defend herself.

"Fuck your stupid rules, Rose. I'm done," he stepped out, slamming the door shut behind him.