4 - Reconciliation

It was the morning after their first night on the land down below. You would imagine that people would be more thrilled about the current situation, but a dreadful silence amongst the teenagers hung in the air during breakfast. The chinking sounds of spoons in bowls was the only sound you could hear.

Zelda slowly ate her bowl of oatmeal while staring at the floor, her expression blank. Opposite her, Link silently played with the food, repeatedly picking up a spoonful and letting it drip back down into the bowl. Everyone kept sharing awkward glances with one another, especially at the two's glum expressions. Karane made eye contact with Groose, who sat opposite her.
"What's wrong with them?" She mouthed. The boy subtly shrugged his shoulders and gestured as if to say "I don't know".

After a few more moments of painful silence, Groose decided to be the first one to make conversation. "So, uh, Zelda! What are you going to be doing today?" He said loudly, forcing her out of her daze.

Zelda suddenly blinked and sat upright. "Oh!" She laughed, with a very forced smile. "Today I'm going to check on the Sealed Temple, make some notes. You all go and have fun, though.

The tone of her voice was sickly sweet. It was so forced that they could all see right through her facade.

Soon after everyone was finished, the group began getting ready for the day. Little to Link's surprise, everyone had already made plans and grouped together. Pipit and Karane were obviously going to want to have their privacy, Groose was planning to use bomb flowers to blow things up with his friends, and because of what happened last night, he assumed he wasn't invited to join Zelda while she did her own things. So, he'd just have to just awkwardly stay behind.

Speaking of, Link was helping the mothers put the dishes away when the girl came walking past. The pair happened to lock eyes momentarily, and looked away just as quickly. Zelda stared off, away from his direction, feeling incredibly guilty for her behaviour. Link turned back to the dishes, feeling slightly rejected that she carried on without even saying hello. Although, it wasn't like he knew how to approach her, either.

"Hey, Link!" called out Karane as she walked over to him. "We've all noticed you and Zelda have been acting funny this morning. Why aren't you tagging along with her today?"

Link awkwardly scratched the back of his head; his gaze shifted to the floor. "Uhhh..."
The red-head tilted her head and raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean? Did something happen between you two?"
"Honestly, I don't know..."

Karane accusingly prodded the boy in the chest, pushing him backwards. A defensive look resided in her eyes.
"You didn't hurt her, did you?"
Link stepped back in shock, feeling offended that she would even think that of him.
"What?! No! You know I would never do that! She just seems a bit stressed right now, and... she seems a bit irritated by me."

The girl calmed her expression, withdrew her finger and sighed
"I admit, she has been upset a lot recently... Well, I hope that she confides in someone soon. It's sad not seeing her usual cheery self around here."
"Yeah."

Karane put her hands on her hips.
"Well, what do you plan to do today then?"
"I'll find something to do." Link replied, shrugging his shoulders. "I'm sure the others will need help with something."

She looked over to Pipit who was waiting for her in the distance.
"Well, Pipit and I are gonna be exploring this cave we found. I doubt you'd want to, but you're welcome to come find us and hang out."

Link forced a polite smile. It was nice for her to offer, but it was already a bit of a blow that the girl he likes doesn't even want to be near him right now. He didn't need the constant reminder of it by third wheeling with somebody else.
"T-thanks for the offer."
"Well, see you later Link! Gotta go!" The girl dismissed herself cheerily. The hero watched her happily skip up to her boyfriend, who grabbed her by the waist and whispered something in her ear. The girl giggled and blushed at whatever he said. Link rolled his eyes.