🥀VIII🥀

Chapter Eight: On a Roll

Isabelle's POV•

For my first class of the day, which was also my favorite, we chose Pride & Prejudice to analyze passages from. We'd also be reading it this month for the objective. We were focusing on the 1800's and the flow of Jane Austen's words.

I've read the book before so I know what's going to happen & I watched the movie, but let me just say this: ITS TOTALLY OVERHYPED. It's not overrated, but it's overhyped. Do you understand the difference? If not, I don't have the time to explain it. I'm not saying that it isn't a great book— because, trust me it is,— but I didn't get why everyone was especially fascinated with it. See? I can't explain it.

I tried so hard to focus today, but my mind kept wandering to daydream instead.

"Ms. Smith? Miss Smith! Misses Smith!"

I snapped back to reality, "Yes? I'm sorry, Mrs. Billingsley."

She spat, "Please refrain from daydreaming during my lesson. Now could you answer my question or do I need to repeat it?"

"Please repeat it, ma'am."

Today started off on the wrong foot. Not only was Mrs. Billingsley a substitute since Miss Willow was sick, but she she was also rude as heck. Miss Willow, if you can hear me, PLEASE BE OKAY! I'm sick of your replacement already and I've only been here for half an hour.

She said, "Never mind it. I'm going to pass out passages from the book in a few seconds. I require you to analyze it and answer questions about the first chapter; the first chapter is only two pages so it shouldn't be too much work. After that, I will pass another sheet out of the passages from chapter two. You will repeat the same thing I've asked you to do for chapter one. Do you all understand?"

We all nodded and she continue, "Now, does anyone want to read the profound opening of Austen's novel? How about you, Ms. Smith?"

I didn't argue and began to read the opening sentence of the novel, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good fortune must be in want of a wife."

"That's great," she gave a slight clap for my performance, making me feel a bit embarrassed so I slouched into my chair which earned me a few sympathetic smiles from my classmates.

She asked, "Do you all understand what Austen meant by this?"

Jason raised his hand and spoke, not waiting for her to permit him to speak, "It's exactly what she said. She meant that if a single man was wealthy and doing good in life, then he must want a wife to share his good fortune & life with."

"That's right, Jason. Do you like English literature?"

He replied, "Nope, but I like the style of Austen's novel and how it centered around the life she grew up in."

I always admired Jason. He had the bad boy aesthetic, but he was into books— and I must say, it was extremely sexy. He rode a motorcycle to school, but he also had a black Chevrolet truck. He had a husky voice which made my heart race whenever he spoke. He had long lashes and a beautifully nurtured smile to pair with hazel- blue eyes; the center of his eye, his pupil, had blue in it while the iris had the hazel color.

His eyes were so unique and I couldn't help but to stare at him in his eyes right now. I realized what I was doing before it was too late; he soon turned his head to me, but my head was down looking at the sheet of paper on the table. That was too close! I mentally wiped a glit of sweat from my forehead.

We repeated this multiple times, and everyone had a chance to express their opinions about the novel and read a passage from the book. Before I knew it, my favorite class was over. The bell rang and I quickly packed my bag, stuffing all my belongings in there except for the work I had to turn in.