Chapter 2: Welcome to the City of Melromarc

A/N: So 2nd chapter. I actually prepared 4 chapters before I published the first chapter so I wouldn't have to rush or go on a long break. I won't lie, some concepts were inspired by some great Shield hero stories in FFnet, The Shielded Savior, Hope of the Shield Hero, and the Original, so credit to those stories that inspired me.

Disclaimer: I own nothing except maybe some OCs later on.

Enjoy

" heroes....melromarc...summon.." 'what the'

I open my eyes, and I'm met with what looks like a palace, no, a castle, a king, and some guards. 'I'm not dead?'

"Where are we?!" I look to my left, a boy probably around Kenchi's age, with black hair, a sword strapped on his waist.

"What the hell is going on here!" behind me, a guy around my age, blond hair, tied in a ponytail, a spear in his hand.

I look to my right, another guy, probably just a few years younger than me, short blond hair. He sat in thought. Bow strapped to his back.

'sword, spear, bow?' I look at myself, I still have my jacket, and my joggers, my knife on the ground, and on my left hand, it was,... a shield.

'no, no, no, NO! That book. THAT BOOK!'

"Calm down heroes, we have summoned you four in the kingdom of Melromarc, to save us from the waves." The king finally speaks up.

"Why... why am I here. I'm supposed to be dead."

The other heroes had shocked looks on, if I was summoned, were they not also supposed to be dead?

"You! Aren't you guys supposed to be dead as well, you must be right?, so why the hell are you so calm?"

They looked away. I knew what that meant. I wasn't stupid.

"Then why me!"

"I'm sorry but we cannot pick who we summon hero." The king replied a slightly annoyed expression.

I thought about it, If they couldn't pick who they summon, then they don't have enough power to send me back, or even if they do, probably not correctly. They could be lying, but what benefit would they get out of that.

"Fine then." 

"As I was saying you heroes were summoned to defend us from the waves of calamity. I am king Aultcray, You may stay in the castle today but once you get party members, you may choose to leave."

"We will, for a price." The bow hero said. I mentally facepalmed. Does he not have any tact?

"Yes we will give you support and a start of 50 gold and 500 silver." I'm assuming that that's a large amount of money, after all, we are supposed to be heroes to them right?

"Before you go, may I know your names?" Oh, now that I think about it, I still don't know the other heroes names.

"My name is Ren Amaki" The sword hero

"I am Itsuki Kawasumi" The bow hero

"Motoyasu Kitamura" The spear hero

"Naofumi Iwatani" The shield hero.

Time skip

I close the door to my room. A simple room, one bed, a restroom, table, chair, and the necessities. The shield on my arm, the other holding my knife.

I've played a lot of games before, and this looks exactly like one, so I did what a logical begginer would do, "Status."

Naofumi Iwatani: Shield Hero

Combat Proficiency: Due to your experience in combat, you can conquer your enemies with absolute skill.

+10 Atk, +2 Atk/lvl, +10 Agi +1 Agi/lvl

Knife Proficiency: A knife is a man's best friend... or an enemy, but who cares cause you got one

Ability to wield knife, +20% damage when dealt with knife

Lvl 1

Atk: 11

Def: 50

MP: 15

MD: 45

Agi: 20

Spd: 15

'Hmm, not bad. For level one, my defense is pretty high, although I am the shield hero, so I should excpect that much at least. I like the knife part but since Melromarc has a medieval sort of setting I expect them to have swords which I've always wanted to use."

I looked at my knife and examined it.

Karambit

Quality: Good

Equip Effects: moon slash, +10 Atk + 3 Spd +5 agility

*knock* *knock* "Oy Naofumi, come over here!" I ignore him.

"Oy! Naofumi!" *knock* *knock*

These idiots are gonna break the door!

*sigh*

"Fine" I open my door to see all three heroes waiting.

"Naofumi..." I look over to Itsuki, still deep in thought, "How did you die?" Hmm I should've expected that.

I decided to have some fun for myself and see what happens.

"You see I slipped on a banana peel on my bed but I died of shock. Happy?" I stated with sarcasm flowing out like a fountain of water.

"BWAHAHAHAHAH... YOU...HAHA.. SLIPPED ON A BANANA PEEL... HAHAHAHA... AND DIED OF SHOCK....HAHAHAHAHAH" but it seems that Motoyasu is too stupid to understand sarcasm. I look to ren and itsuki who now have their hands in their foreheads.

"Motoyasu... Have you.... Have you ever heard of sarcasm?" Ren asked, a slightly worried look on his face.

"huh??... oh.." I guess he finally realized how stupid he was.

"Hehhh, I kinda pity you Naofumi, you died then you get reincarnated as the shield hero. It wasn't a very good class in a game I used to play." I guess he hasn't had enough huh?

I gained an irritated look at Motoyasu's insult. So... I kneed him in the jewels. "AAAUGHH!" Motoyasu knelt, not taking the pain all too well. "..." Ren and Itsuki winced a bit as they looked at the helpless Motoyasu.

"Damn you Naofumi." Motoyasu mutters, trying his best to stand up. That was indeed fun.

"Is that all?" they all shook their heads, "You still haven't told us how you died."

"It's personal." I went back inside and shut my door.

I slumped down on the bed feeling tired of the events that had passed. First I die, then I get reinarnated as a shielder, great, I wonder if this could get any worse.

A/N: And done! I just realized some stuff and I decided to edit it once I'm done with vol 1. Now if you're wondering, Vol 1 will be until after the second wave I've already made some plans for OCs, changes, and others for the entire vol. I haven't decided wether or not to put romance in it since I'm bad at it, but when this story gets famous enough I'll Have you guys decide.