Chapter Four

After the interview, the girls had a bite to eat and got ready to go to the arena for soundcheck. They had changed into tight jeans, tee shirts and sneakers. This was serious business. They had work to do and nothing interfered with their music, and preparing for a performance.

They had arrived in L.A. two days before, on Wednesday, and had headlined a show at a small venue, on Thursday.

Off the Grid was popular on the Chicago music scene and had been playing at high school events and local clubs since they were 15. A big local fan base and social media had rocketed them to internet fame even before they signed to the record label, and they'd had no trouble selling out clubs with a capacity of 800-1200 for the past two months.

The girls did their nails with the TV on in the background, while Robbie gave them the rundown for the day.

"We're leaving for the Forum at 11:00 and you'll do an early soundcheck. I want you to have plenty of time to get to know the stage. It's going to feel a lot different than you're used to.

The girls nodded.

"Fuse will be there at around 4:00. I don't know if you'll have a chance to meet them this afternoon or not. It depends on them. You'll go to the meet and greet after the show. You'll have the room to yourself before the band gets there, so make the most of it. Once Fuse gets there, nobody'll care about you."

They nodded again.

"They're staying on this floor, so after we leave here, there'll be heavy security to get to the rooms. If Jake and Ryan aren't coming up with you, you'll have to go down and get them. They won't be allowed up alone." He looked at his watch. "Be at the elevator by 11:00." He stood up and headed for the door. Then he turned around casually. "Anybody know anything about the mess the staff found in the kitchen this morning?"

They both shook their heads. Robbie sighed. "No more shenanigans. This is gonna be serious business starting tonight. You're not the stars anymore, you're just background music, so behave yourselves." He walked out of the room.

Jessie giggled.

"What?"

"We went down last night and Ryan made breakfast burritos."

Kate laughed. "He's a nut."

Jessie smiled. "It was really good to see them. I've missed them."

"Yeah, we're lucky we have a few days with them." Kate laughed. "How great has it been to get to screw around in a fancy hotel room?"

"Yeah. Way better than Ryan's lumpy basement sofa," Jessie agreed She got up and walked over to the mirror to check her hair. "We're finally going to get to meet them," she said softly.

Kate smiled. "Matt, Walker, Drew, and Nels. We're going to meet Fuse. After all this time."

"We really have to make sure we don't gush."

"Yes. Totally cas."

They had been big fans of the band's music for years. And Jessie had had a crush on Walker, the drummer, and Kate had had a crush on Drew, the guitarist, since day one. They couldn't believe how lucky they were to get a spot on the Fuse tour. It was way more that they had ever hoped for.

Jessie laughed. "Who are we kidding? We're totally gonna post selfies all over the damn place."

Kate grinned. "We are living the fantasy of girls all over the world. It's our duty to let them live vicariously through us, isn't it?"

"We're supposed to be professionals," Jessie sighed

"I know. We'll be cool. As cool as we can be."