Chapter Five

When they got to the Forum, Off the Grid went directly to the stage for soundcheck. It did feel different. It was huge compared to the smaller clubs they'd been playing. They played the whole set, working on getting their routine down on the larger stage.

"Hey Turk, can you Insta the last soundcheck before we hit the big time?" Jessie asked one of the roadies, tossing her phone to him.

He nodded and started the stream while they got ready to play.

"Turk here," he said, to the stream. "Well, this is it, the last soundcheck before our girls meet their idols. Let's watch this momentous occasion and say a little prayer that they don't faint when they meet them."

He recorded the first five minutes of soundcheck, and then tagged it #otgband #kateandjessie #jessieandkate #fuseforever #suchababe #crushingonfuse. He tossed the phone back to Jessie. She looked at it and added the tag #turkthejerk.

Fuse's gear arrived at 2:00 and Off the Grid had to leave the stage so their roadies could set-up. One of the arena staff showed the band to their dressing rooms. Scotty and Liam went to their dressing room and the girls went to theirs.

Kate and Jessie sat down on one of the everpresent backstage sofas and picked up working on a song they'd started writing the day before. They each had an acoustic guitar that they kept with them in hotel rooms, dressing rooms and on the bus.

Songwriting was fun for them and they were good at it. Since they'd been on the road, they'd written a song or two a week. They'd put each song aside for a few weeks, and then pull it out and either reject it, or polish it off. As a result, they had an average one good quality song a week.

The problem was, the songs they wrote often didn't align with their image. They knew they were going to have to wait, at least until the next album, to start to shift it. In the meantime, writing kept them entertained, and they were stockpiling songs for the future.

Robbie came into the dressing room and smiled. "They're here. They're in their dressing room and they want to meet you. They have an interview shortly so it won't be long."

The girls jumped up grinning and put their guitars down and ran over to a mirror, fixing their hair and freshening their lipstick.

"Have you met them?" Kate asked.

"Yes," he told them.

"What are they like?" Jessie asked.

"You'll meet them yourself in a minute. Try to be cool," he begged.

"We're always cool," Jessie grinned.