[Chapter 2]

The air had changed in the palace. Everyone was growing more secretive as the days went on. King Karter becoming more reserved and quiet with his meetings and around his children, and especially the selected.

It was late at night, and Karter was alone in his office. An old wooden box sat before him, an icy blue light emitting from the inside illuminated all of the cracks and crevasses in the wood. It had been sitting in front of him all day, his door locked to ensure privacy.

Carefully lifting the box, he undid the rusty metal clasp that was holding the box together. He peered into the box and saw the first relic.

A gold ring sat in the box. It was covered in diamonds, but in the center was a gemstone that dwarfed the others. Immediately he knew this stone was the one letting off the blue glow. He carefully lifted it out of the box and admired it. This was only one of the six relics he had to find.

Karter went to put the ring on when he touched the gemstone, burning his fingers. The ring dropped to the floor with a soft clatter and the gem lost it's blue hue. Karter shook his hand as he watched the light die out. This was just the start.

Careful to not touch the gemstone again he lifted the ring off of the ground and slipped it onto his finger. Here it would be safe. No one would be able to touch it, or look for it.

A knock came at the door and Karter stood to answer it, making sure his office was picked up first. On the other side stood Cassian.

"Where have you been all day?" Cassian asked his brother as Karter stepped out of his office and locked the door behind him.

"Working. I needed complete privacy today, and from now on. Meetings will only be called when I decide them," Karter said as he brushed past Cassian.

"Karter, you cannot lock yourself away all of the time. People will notice and begin to worry."

"And when have you ever cared about that?" Karter asked as he stopped short and turned to face his brother. This new attitude coming from a new place. He knew it had to do something with the relic; feeding off of his deep, dark, buried hatred for his younger brother.

"I have always cared, Karter. And I'm worried about you. About your children," Cassian said. His eyes looked his brother over before spotting the ring. He knew immediately what it was. "You found these first relic," he breathed. "Karter."

Not a moment later, Karter took Cassian's hand and pressed it onto the gemstone; the heat burning his hand. Cassian began to shout before Karter clamped a hand over his mouth to quiet him. They stayed this way for several minutes before Karter stepped away and looking at his brother.

Cassian gripped his wrist and looked at the massive burn Karter had left. The burn had extended much farther than the area of the ring, leaving Cassian's hand a mess of blood and flesh.

"You've gone mad!" Cassian shouted at his brother.

"I think you are mistaken. If anyone is to hear of this, I will guarantee you a slow and painful death. Am I clear?"

Cassian straightened up, his hand still grasping onto his wrist. He didn't say anything. Instead turned and walked away. His brother already a lost cause, and only one relic into his crazy search.