Numb

I held him back, or tried to. My mate struggled against my grip around his torso, even so I knew it wouldn't last long.

I was most certainty right. Dodger broke loose from my hold, flinging my arms back. Rushing our opponent, he screamed. "IM SORRY!" And that was all he said before going into full fledged battle mode.

He shifted immediately. His pitch black coat showing itself. His wolf was beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.

His fur was soon covered in blood, due to him pouncing on the rouge defensivly, attacking him. I couldn't let him do this alone.

I rushed forward, flinging myself into the fight. I knew Dodger would have my head later for this, but I couldn't let him get himself killed on my account, that is, if I wanted there to be a later.

Sure he was my mate as of a few days before, but I couldn't live without him.

I hadn't thought. I didn't shift before getting into this mess. My human hand caught the edge of the rouges plain brown coat and pulled, hard.

There was a loud growl, and then a whimper of pain that I knew had come from me. I cursed myself for letting that slip, he was going to be even worse now. I stepped back a few feet, and shifted.

My bright silver coat shown slightly through the dark as I shook myself out a little before sprinting back into it all.

I snarled at the rouge, snapping my jaws in his direction. The fights chaos had simply come to a standstill soon after I had my little outburst. My mate and his target were circling each other slowly.

I decided it wasn't the best thin to do, but it might keep my love alive. I quickly wedged my wolf between the two of them facing the rouge and bit him. I sunk my teeth into the furry flesh of his shoulder, and shook.

The wolf whimpered and tried pulling away. I decided it was enough for now and released him, immediately backing into Dodger, trying to push him away from the incident.

He didn't budge.

I whipped around, facing him, it wasn't the smartest idea turning my back to the other, but I needed him to leave.

I looked straight into his eyes, needing him to listen to me this time. I connected with him through our mind link.

'What in the frick do you think your doing?'

'We can't leave, he'll find you. I'm NOT taking that chance Tatum.'

' You irk me Alpha. I can't let YOU get killed either, and the longer we stand here, the more time he has to recover and come right back at us.' I insisted forcibly.

' I don't care! You get behind me and we won't have a problem. I won't let you get hurt.' He said, I could hear the pleading. I didn't care.

'Get. Moving. Now.' I demanded.

'No.' He insisted, and the stubborn Alpha actually stomped his wolf paw. Stomped it!

I shook my head at him, and charged him head on. It worked for a minute, I got him to move some, slowly.

And then it all went to crap. Something pierced my left hind leg, a sharp pain erupted in my thigh. I yelped as loud as I possibly could, not intentionally. I tried so hard to keep standing but my leg eventually gave out and had me sprawling on the grass.

Dodger rushed the rouge, full on. I yelled through our mind link.

'STOP! Don't do this! Please, listen to me. I'm fine. Stop it. You know he's stronger than you right now.'

He wasn't listening. He was too busy with the former alpha of the sumner pack. The former alpha had given up his title willingly to Dodgers father twenty years ago, when he just couldn't take it anymore. He became an outcast, or rather, rouge. Now, we had run into him unfortunately, and the two men had harsh feelings for one another. Nobody knew why.

I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment, willing the pain away. That's when it happened.

A shrilling, heartbreaking, yelp rang though the darkness.

I immediately knew who it was, my heart started hammering. I launched myself back into the fight.

I wet straight for our attackers throat, going for the kill. I latched my jaws onto his neck and buried my teeth in, hoping I could stun him enough to get out of here before it was too late. I shook my head and threw him to the ground, he growled/yelped.

I took that as my chance to get out. I un latched my jaws from his throat and limped over to Dodger.

He was still.

My mate was lying on the ground, stuff as a board, bleeding. The rouge had caught his throat, right where it was important. Blood gushed, making me wince.

'Dodg?' I asked, hoping he would answer like a little kid hoped to get a puppy from santa.

'Come'er.' Was all he said. I went I plopped myself down next to him, and licked his face.

' I'm here. It's okay, don't worry it'll be alright.' I reassured myself more than him, it seemed like he knew it too.

'No...Tatum, you... Need to... understand,.. You're the Alpha... When I go...' He was already losing this fight. Anger boiled in the out of my stomach. Wait, me? Alpha? Not possible! I'm a woman!

' What do you mean? How can I be the Alpha when I'm a woman?' I was confused.

' I don't trust any other man... Not with my pack... you can beat them if they challenge you... you will win. You'll be the best Alpha/Luna ever.' He explained. it made more sense now. I still had no idea how I would pull it off. but I wasn't going to have to! He was coming back im with me dang it!

' I won't have to baby, you'll be there, I can stay your Luna, be your other half. I love you.' I said, pleading with him, and the Moon Goddess.

His wolf half smiled before he said, ' I love you more, I'll always be with you... no matter what happens here. Be-' he coughed up blood, I whined as he did, I shifted into my human form, not caring about being stark naked.

I rubbed his back in soothing circles, the way I had a million times before. He went on after hacking blood. ' Be my Alpha. Please... promise... me.' he pleaded. I nodded slowly.

I realized this was the end. Unshed tears flooded my vision. I blinked them away before lifting is head to look me in the eyes.

'I promise. I won't let you down my love.'

' I love you...' And with that, all his strength faded away. He shifted into human form and slumped in my lap. I heard a howl in the distance and knew it was my wolf, calling for his, to be joined again.

I shook my head, he couldn't be gone. He was. My heart shattered into a million tiny slivers, tears burst from my eyes. I grabbed at my chest, it was excruciatingly painful.

I kissed Dodger, one last time. Long and painful as it was, I still needed closure. That's all I got.

I shifted back into my bright wolf, limping over to the rouge. Anger was done broiling, and now was bubbling at the surface.

He was dead. Good. A life for a life, I suppose. My heart did a painful squeeze at the thought.

I looked back at my mate, one last time.

I went home, numb, I didn't feel anything. Not my leg, not the pain of loss.

I could only feel empty.

No matter that my heart and soul were both shattered, I was still determined to be the greatest female Alpha there ever was, and will be.