22. Two Kids

Chapter 22: Two Kids. Too young and dumb.

"Lady Eleonora."

The voice calling out to me snapped me out of the memories that were pulling me away. I turned towards the two people standing by the door of my study room.

I bit my lip and tried to clear thoughts about Yellow and looked at the new lady accompanied by the steward of my house.

"Lady Eleonora, Madame Avea Wystan has arrived."

I glanced at the communication papers that were on my desk.

"I need help."

I'd asked Cassian to send me a butler or aide who could help me and take care of the estate. In just an hour, Avea Wystan was here with her luggage.

"She's the granddaughter of the Duke's Head Butler. She's been approved of by my father himself."

She was a young woman with striking red hair that almost just reached her waist; they were the colour of blood, similar to that of her father. Her father was actually mentioned in the book as an important aide of the Arcturus family, who also helps the heroine later on. Her brown eyes were clear as she gave a slight bow and looked at me with an expressionless face.

I didn't know Tideus had a daughter, I thought wryly as I gave her a nod. "Welcome to this estate."

After this cursed day had ended, I laid in bed and let the memories take me away.

"What is that song you keep singing?"

"Hmm? Ah, am I disturbing you?" I turned to look at Yellow as we sat by the window again. It was a bright rainy day, so I was feeling the breeze and staring out at the light showers.

"No. It seems important to you."

"I guess it is... I can relate to the lyrics."

"What is it about?"

"Well," I leaned back in my chair and played with the fabric of my skirt as I recalled the moments of me listening to it. "It's about being too young and dumb to know how to treasure a person. About getting carried away with ego, and loving clumsily, in a way that hurts, leaving you to just regret."

"...Yeah, it seems fitting for you."

I glared at them and huffed. "But it's also about understanding those mistakes. And not turning the love of the past into marks of hatred. I used to listen to this song a lot in my past life."

"You've had a past life, too?" Yellow asked in a curious voice, surprising me. I'd just spilt out the truth about my past life, because I didn't see why not, but what's this?

"What? You, too?"

"When plants die, those of us with souls like mine are reincarnated differently. If I die, we might meet again, but I might not be carnations anymore, and you might not recognize me, but I will know you."

I tilted my head at this new information. I hadn't read of this in the book. It seems the more time I spend in this world, the more I realize how real and detailed it really is. There's so much I don't know yet.

"That won't do." I said, placing my cheek on my palm as I caressed the soft yellow petals. "We need a codeword then."

"A codeword?"

"Yeah. So that I'll be able to find you."

"Look at you," the carnations replied in a teasing voice. "Are you already preparing for me to go?"