Chapter Six

I'm backstage during the live performance of Newsies, several weeks later, as Jeremy hits the last note of Santa Fe. I can't help from smiling. I've seen several performances of Newsies, but never one as incredible as this one. The cast works perfectly together and every song blows me away. I've never seen Newsies like this before, especially not from backstage.

As soon as intermission starts, however, I'm herded to the dressing rooms in case any of the cast members need help changing. People are rushing around backstage, and I end up helping some of the boys touch up their makeup.

"Jack Kelly!" Sky exclaims, grinning when he sees me. "How are you liking the show so far?" Removing his cap, he runs his hand through his hair several times.

I smile. "It's really different, but I like it." I give him a shrug. "Do you need help with your makeup or anything?"

He examines his face in the mirror. "I don't know, what do you think?" Turning to face me, he quirks an eyebrow.

I tilt my head slightly to the side. "Hang on." I reach over and use my thumb to gently blend in the makeup under his eye. Standing back to admire my work, I nod. "Now it looks more like a bruise."

Sky smiles brightly. "Thanks, Jack Kelly. What would I do without you?"

"Have subpar makeup, I guess." I grin, stepping away to help another newsie with something. Intermission is over quickly and the boys hurry to be on stage in time for King of New York.

"See you after the show," Sky says as he passes me on his way to the stage.

"Break a leg!" I call, smiling back at him. As I watch from backstage, I realize that once this show is over, I'll only have a few days until I go back home. While I'm excited to see my mom, my boyfriend, and my friends again, I don't want to leave. Something about the friendships I've made with the cast and crew members is different from the friendships I have at home, and I can't place my finger on it. The people I've met here seem more genuine than most of the people I've met my whole life. I don't want to go home and forget about Josh, Ben, Indiana, Sky, and everyone else. I find myself dreading the end of the show, but it comes anyway.

The cast cheers, running off stage after curtain call. I speak to a few of the members, congratulating them on a show well done. The rest of the night flies by in a blur and before I know it, I'm back at the hotel, getting ready for bed.

~ * ~ * ~

On my last night in California, I spend the evening in a hotel room with my friends. Indy orders a few pizzas, and once everyone has eaten, Josh suggests we play a game of truth or dare. Most of the dares are simple, such as switching an item of clothing with someone or doing a handstand for one minute.

"Jack Kelly," Sky says, a mischievous smirk growing on his face. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare," I answer confidently. I've never been one to turn down a dare. "Hit me with your best shot."

"I dare you," he pauses for dramatic effect, glancing around the room. "I dare you to take a shot of that hand sanitizer." He points to a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Indiana cringes. "I don't think that's good for you. Don't make her do that, Sky."

Ben nods. "I can't imagine that tasting good."

Sky shrugs. "You don't have to do it if you're scared." He grins slightly, knowing I wouldn't turn down the dare.

"Fine." I get up and grab the bottle and a glass that the hotel provided. I squirt a little bit of sanitizer into the glass.

"Jack, you really shouldn't," Josh says, watching me with a scared look in his eyes.

Ignoring Josh, I look directly at Sky. "Bottoms up," I say, lifting the glass and downing the hand sanitizer as quickly as I can, doing my best to keep a neutral expression. Josh, Ben, and Indiana all watch me, shocked and horrified that I actually carried out the dare.

Sky watches, impressed. "Wow. I didn't think you'd actually do it." I just shrug.

"Let me get you some water," Indy says, standing up and grabbing the other glass. She fills it with water from the sink and hands it to me. "Drink that."

I follow her instructions. "It tastes like it smells," I state. In reality, it tasted so much worse, but I'm not about to give Sky the satisfaction of it almost making me sick. "Okay, Ben, truth or dare?" I continue, and the rest of the evening goes on as if nothing had happened.

~ * ~ * ~

In the morning, Olivia and I walk down to the lobby where some of my friends are waiting to say goodbye. I pull my suitcase as I get off the elevator, my sister walking beside me. I'm still feeling somewhat queasy from the hand sanitizer dare last night; I went back to the hotel room and spent all night in the bathroom, sick.

"I can't believe it's over already." I sigh as Olivia begins to check out. "It feels like I just got here, and now I have to go back home."

"I'm sure you'll be back in the theater world before you know it," Ben says, walking over to Olivia and I. "It won't be long before we're back together." He gives me a small smile. "But until then, I'm going to miss you." He pulls me into a hug, and I smile.

"We'll keep in touch, right?"

"Absolutely." Ben nods. "I wouldn't have it any other way." We pull away as Josh, Sky, and Indy show up.

"Have fun back in Florida," Josh says with a light laugh. "Don't miss us too much." He hugs me tightly, smiling.

"I'll text you, okay?" Indiana gives me a small, rare smile. "Who knows, maybe I'll come visit you someday."

"I'd like that." I nod. "Maybe I'll come see you in New York. That would be fun."

"It would," she agrees.

Finally, I turn to Sky. While I'm close with the others, I've been dreading saying goodbye to him the most. "Skyler," I say with a slight smile.

"Jack Kelly." Sky nods, returning my smile. "Don't forget to write."

I laugh at his statement. "Don't forget to write? As much as I'd love to send you a letter, Sky, I think it's a little more convenient to text or call."

He smiles more. "Fine. Don't forget to text, then."

I shake my head, still laughing. "I won't." Like I did with the others, I give Sky a hug. I can't help but notice we fit together perfectly. However, before I can think about it any longer, I quickly step away from the hug. You have a boyfriend, Jack, I tell myself. What are you doing?

"I'll see you around, Jack Kelly," Sky says. "Have a safe flight."

Olivia gives me a nod. "We should get going."

"Don't forget me!" I call to my friends as I head for the door.

"How could I?" Sky replies. The last thing I see before the hotel doors close is his grin.

~~~~~
this chapter is dedicated to Micha because of her constant hand sanitizer drinking
I think you have a problem
anyway thanks for reading!