Chapter Sixteen

"We need to talk?" I repeat, staring at River in shock. "I have nothing to say to you." Crossing my arms, I lean against the doorway.

"I know," he says softly. "I don't expect you to say anything to me. But I have something I need to tell you." He glances around me, trying to see inside the apartment. "Can I come in?"

With a heavy sigh, I nod. "Fine. But not for long." Stepping back, I open the door wider to allow River to enter. I lead him to the couch and we sit down. "Okay, what did you have to say to me?"

"Right." River nods. "Look, Jack, I came because I need to apologize to you in person. I was upset that you were leaving me so quickly, and I didn't handle myself well. I should have known better. Obviously theater is something you want to do, and I should have supported you. I'm really, really sorry for how I acted."

I nod slowly. "Thank you for apologizing." River seems more genuine than I've ever seen him, and it makes me wonder if I made a mistake when I broke up with him.

He takes a deep breath. "I know I don't deserve it, but I've come to ask if you'd be my girlfriend again."

~ * ~ * ~

Sky's POV
"Jack may not be around for much longer, you know," Ben says out of the blue, glancing at me as he drives. as he drives.

"What's your point?" Ben has been practically harassing me since he walked in on Jack and I a few days ago.

"My point is that you should ask her out. You'll regret it if you don't." He shrugs.

"I don't even know what to say. And she just got out of a relationship."

Ben turns to me, smirking slightly. "This conversation seems familiar. I recall me asking you the same thing when you were pushing me to ask Marlee out. Wanna know how that turned out for me?"

I roll my eyes. "You're welcome for pushing you, by the way. You wouldn't have asked if it weren't for me."

"You like her, and she obviously likes you. Ask her out before someone else gets to her first."

"I don't know," I hesitate.

"Yes, you do. You kissed her, for crying out loud. Go ask her out," Ben says firmly.

"Alright, fine. When do I ask her?"

He sighs. "Are you really that stupid, Sky? We're literally on the way to her apartment for dinner."

"I know, I just didn't know if I should wait," I explain. "Are you sure I should do it tonight?"

"Yes," Ben says slowly. "Do it tonight. And you'd better think of how to do it fast, because we're almost there."

For once, Ben is actually making some sense. If I don't ask Jack out soon, I may never get the chance. Tonight is my best option, so I spend the next few minutes frantically trying to think of something to say. Before I'm ready, Ben stops the car at the apartment building. I see Josh's car, indicating that he and Indy are already here.

"Do you know what movie we're watching?" Ben asks as we walk inside the building.
I shake my head. "No. But we'll figure it out soon."

Olivia answers the door when we knock, greeting us with a smile. "Come on in," she says, opening the door wider. "It's too bad Marlee couldn't come."

Ben nods. "She got tied up with some work, but she said to tell you hello." Inside, I hear Indiana and Jack in the kitchen, but I also hear a voice I don't recognize.

"Jack, Sky and Ben are here," Olivia calls, closing the door behind us.

Jack emerges from the kitchen. "Hey!" She smiles. "Oh, there's someone I want you to meet." As if on cue, a guy walks over to Jack, smiling slightly. I recognize him from pictures almost immediately. "Ben, Sky, this is River. My boyfriend." My heart drops the instant she says 'boyfriend.'

Ben's eyes widen slightly. "Nice to meet you. I'm Ben," he says with a nod. "I'll go see if Olivia needs help getting the food together." He goes to the kitchen, leaving River, Jack, and I standing in an awkward silence.

River is the first to speak. "You're Sky, then. I've heard a lot about you." He doesn't sound particularly happy.

"I've heard a lot about you, too," I say, trying not to sound as defeated as I feel. "It's good to finally meet you." I reach over and shake his hand firmly.

"Come on, the food should be ready," Jack says, trying to keep the conversation from being awkward. River follows Jack, keeping a hand on the small of her back. As I walk with Jack, he glares at me suspiciously.

"Oh, I see you've met River," Olivia says as we sit down at the table. "I hope it's okay that I just ordered pizza. It's been a long week and this was easier than cooking."

After eating, I volunteer to help Jack clean the dishes and make popcorn for the movie. As I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, I turn to Jack.

"So, you're back together with River," I state.

She nods almost sheepishly. "Um, yeah. That's kinda new."

"I'd say." I nod. "How exactly did that happen? From what I know, he was not a very good boyfriend." I could do better, I think, but I keep it to myself.

"River showed up yesterday. He came here just to apologize to me," she explains. "And I invited him in, we talked, and we decided to get back together."

I stare at Jack for a short moment. "Just like that?"

"Just like that."

"Really?" I ask in disbelief. "You left him because he didn't support you. You told me he was jealous and possessive. And you took him back? Just like that?"

"Yes, Sky. I took him back." She crosses her arms. "He's different. He's more authentic than I've ever seen him. I know you don't like him, but he goes home in a few days. You can put up with him until he goes back home." The microwave beeps, I take the popcorn out, and we go sit down to watch the movie.

The car ride home from Jack's apartment is quiet. Ben is worried I'm upset with him for pushing me to ask Jack out, but I'm actually upset with Jack for being willing to accept River's apology so quickly. He doesn't seem like he's changed at all. All evening, he was watching me suspiciously, as if I would make a move on Jack.

As we walk in the apartment, Ben sighs. "I'm sorry, man. I had no clue about her boyfriend," he says quietly.

I shrug. "It's not your fault," I mutter. "I still can't believe she agreed to take him back after everything he did." Shaking my head, I sit down on the couch.

"I know," he says with another sigh. "Seems a bit crazy, but it was her decision."

"Am I crazy?" I ask. "Am I crazy for thinking there may have been something between us? She certainly didn't think over her decision for long."

"I don't think you're crazy, but Jack is old enough to make her own life choices," Ben says. "No use being mad about it now."

Nodding, I sigh. "I know. I'm just concerned for her," I admit. "It wasn't a good relationship, and she knew that. That was the reason why she broke up with him in the first place. So why does she go back now, after everything that happened?" It doesn't make any sense. Why would she get back together with River when I could treat her the way she deserves to be treated?

~~~~~
thanks for reading!!!