Chapter Thirty-Four

Three Weeks Later

"What time is River coming?" Sky asks as he touches up his makeup, getting ready for the second act of the show.

"He's coming after the show. I told him to come here because it's just easier than coming to the hotel," I answer.

"He's not in the audience?" Sky glances at me in the mirror. "I thought he was coming to watch. It's the least he can do after not even visiting you in the hospital."

I shake my head, ignoring his last sentence. "No, he decided to wait until I'm able to come back. I can't exactly perform with crutches, you know."

Grinning, he turns to look at me. "Sure you can. I mean, Zach did it every show during Newsies."

I lightly whack his leg with one of the crutches. "Shut up," I mumble, unable to hide a grin. "Hurry up and get ready, you have to be back on stage soon."

"You should sit down or something. You've been standing for a while and you have a broken leg."

With a sigh, I sit down in an open seat next to him. "Why are you always right?"

He shrugs, smirking. "I just am. It's nice of you to finally notice." As I roll my eyes, he turns back around and continues working. He puts on his wig, getting ready for the song, Stop. Sky tosses some of the long hair over his shoulder dramatically, causing me to laugh.

"You make a very pretty girl." I grin.

"Why, thank you. So do you," he says. His reply catches me off guard, leaving me with a blush. Sky just smiles and puts the final touches on his look.

I let my mind wander a bit. Most of the other guys are already finished with their touch-ups. I get the feeling that Sky takes a long time so he can keep me company. I'm not complaining, though, I enjoy spending time with him. Over the past three weeks, Sky has pretty much never left my side. And while it may be annoying, his constant worrying over my health is touching. While I was only in the hospital for a few days, he stayed by me, making sure I was getting better. Once I was released, he almost missed a show to make sure I stayed in the hotel as instructed, but I made him go back. He must have missed at least four shows because he was staying with me.

Sky sighs, pulling me out of my thoughts. "I should head back towards the stage. Are you sure you'll be okay?"

I laugh softly. "Yes, Sky, I'll be fine. You're not the only one here who cares about me, you know. Besides, I'll be backstage in a little bit, cheering you on."

"Okay. I'll see you in a bit." With a smile that makes my heart flutter, he leaves the dressing room. I've found that the longer I'm away from River, the harder it is to deny my growing feelings for Sky. I can't pinpoint when I figured out how I feel about him, but I know I shouldn't be feeling it because of my relationship with River. I shake myself out of my thoughts, once again pushing down the blushing and heart fluttering.

Standing up, I grab my crutches and make my way upstairs so I can sit backstage. I make it in time to catch the end of Stop. Sky gives me a thumbs up as he hurries back to change again. I sit backstage, watching the show go by and smiling, proud of my friends. One of my personal favorite numbers is Do This Thing. I never get tired of watching Sky become Tyler Kimble. At one point in the song, he catches my eye and grins, sending yet another wave of butterflies into my chest. I wish I knew how to control the butterflies.

~~~~~
just an unrelated reminder that I'm still taking requests for imagines/oneshots/preferences
just let me know!!
I'm kinda bored and I want something to write lol
anyway, thanks for reading!!