*10*

there's a dream in this one 😼 so you're gonna see some light bondage, kissing, implied penetrative sex(?), masturbation.

on a serious note, there is a trigger warning: suicide (in a case) is mentioned briefly at the beginning of this chapter.

I wake up the next morning to Spencer's head in my lap. my neck is resting on the arm of the couch, and his curls tickle my thighs. he looks so sweet when he sleeps, that little nose of his wrinkling every once in a while as he snores gently. I can't help the smile creeping across my face; we must have fallen asleep reading.

my fingers run gently through his thick hair, reveling in its softness and twisting little locks between my fingers. part of me wishes I could kiss him all over his perfect face.

my phone rings suddenly and I jolt upward, yelping as I feel a crick in my neck. Spencer stirs, confused, before lifting himself off my lap and looking around.

"hello?" I answer the call.

"hey, sunshine. we have a case." Penelope tells me apologetically. I sigh and massage my neck. Spencer looks completely disoriented but nods when I give him the look.

"okay. we-- I'll be in before seven." I catch myself and pray to every possible entity that she didn't hear it. thankfully, we're both too tired to be paying much attention, and she signs off quickly.

"morning." I say sleepily to Spencer, who is pacing across the floor already. "I have extra toothbrushes in the cupboard above the sink in the bathroom. you can use my toothpaste if you want." I offer. his phone rings and he goes through the same process with Penelope that I just did. he doesn't stumble over his words, though.

"thanks." he rushes off to the bathroom and I throw myself back against the cushions. great; I've been shut out again. it's not even a big deal, what happened. plenty of friends fall asleep on top of each other. but then again, not usually after an evening of being fingered in a moving car. I don't really know what's happening, honestly. all I do know is that I wish Spencer would be open to talking it out.

I brew some coffee while he's in the bathroom, peeking out the window of my apartment and watching the sun creep over the horizon. dusk, purple and velvety, would be pretty if my head wasn't so clouded.

"sorry for last night." his voice startles me as he rushes into the kitchen. which part? I think to myself.

"you're good." I brush past him and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. one look in the mirror and I'm shocked he didn't run out of here the moment he woke up: my naturally dark under-eye circles are darker than usual. my hair is completely flat. all in all, I look exactly the way I do every morning.

after I finish up in there, I walk back into the room to pour our coffees. he's already got them in mugs, however, handing one to me wordlessly. I hesitate before taking a sip.

"what did you put in this?" I ask him. the memory of tasting his Americano a while back makes me wince. I can't handle an onslaught of sugar this morning.

"nothing. you like black coffee, right?" he smiles a bit. I nod and take a sip, not at all repulsed. it tastes good, so I drain the rest and leave him there so I can change. he'll have to go into work wearing the same clothes as he did last night, but that probably won't raise any alarms; Spencer has a habit of spending all night in libraries.  

...

"morning, you two." Emily smiles over a to-go cup. Reid and I split to sit at opposite sides of the round table, but I don't miss the nervous glance he sends my way. Prentiss has a way of speaking like she knows something secret, and it's putting both of us on edge. I smile and issue a good morning before anyone can notice.