Chapter 1

"Hey Avery?" My boss called as I passed her in the hallway.

"Yes?" I stop and turn to her.

"There's a little girl in room 212. She needs a glue strip." She said and spun on her heels to leave. I sighed and walked to the room she told me.

I knocked on the door and opened it while looking at her chart. It said she was 6 months old. I looked up and seen a beautiful little girl. "Hello, I'm nurse Reyes, what happened?" I asked and turned to the parent. I had to make sure that there was no child abuse that caused it. It's a hospital policy. He looked to be a few years older than me and was straight out of a magazine. Brown curly hair, ice blue eyes, buckle clothing and a hat with glasses upside down. He was the definition of hot.

"She started crawling recently. I had her on the floor and I got up to grab the phone. Next thing I know she was crying and surrounded by a broken glass dish." He was clearly stressed out and worried for the baby girl.

"It's not too bad. A strip should hold it together and let it heal." I told him as I walked over to the baby. It was on her leg so hopefully it won't scar. "Hey sweetie." I smiled at her. She started babbling and playing with my hair while I put a small butterfly strip on the cut. "You're all fixed now. I'd stay away from glass though." I chuckled at her and pulled my hair back.

"It should heal fine. I'll send a few extra strips home with you incase it starts falling off. Put it back on the way I did just now." I told him and handed him a bag with extra strips.

"Thank you so much." He said and grabbed the strips I handed him. I walked them out and to the checkout desk before turning back to go to the changing room. I changed out of my scrubs and threw my hair up into a bun.

Today was my third day working here and I really liked it even though I was treated bad the first day for being so young. I am just 20 which makes me the youngest in the building. I sat down on the bench and looked for apartment ads on my phone.

I've been sleeping at an old hotel the past week and I really need to find an apartment with a roommate. Trying to find that around here is seeming to be quite difficult. "Still haven't found an apartment?" Gillian asked me. She's been nice to me since the first day. She's 22 so she's pretty young as well.

"No. No one wants a roommate." I sigh.

"I just saw an ad somewhere. They had an extra room to rent out but they were really strict with who they would allow."

"Where was it? It wouldn't hurt to check into it." She pulled out her phone and started typing. She found it and showed me. "This would be perfect. It's only four miles from here." I told her and gave her a hug. I put the number in my phone and started texting it.

Hello, my name is Avery. I came across your ad for a roommate. I'm new in town and have been searching for a while. I work at the local hospital that's a few miles away. I was wondering if we could meet?

I sent the text and turned back to Gillian. "I hope I find a place soon. That hotel is nasty."

"It really is. I'm surprised it's even still open." She chuckled.

"Same. You off your shift?" I asked.

"Yep. I just need to change and I'll walk out with you." She quickly changed and we walked out of the hospital together. On the way out my phone dinged.