Chapter 2

I woke up early this morning to Layla crying. I sighed and went ahead and got ready for work. It was a pretty slow day at work so by the time I got back home I was tired. I collapsed on the couch with a sigh and closed my eyes.

There was a knocking on the door that woke me up. I wondered if it was Mason but why would he knock?
I got up and went to answer the door. It was a girl that was probably a few years older than me. She was gorgeous. "Uh, is Mason here?" She asks.

"No." I tell her. It was probably Layla's mom. This probably looked bad with me being in his apartment. Especially if they were still a couple. I hope he at least told her and that this wouldn't cause a problem. I decided that if it did end up causing a problem, then I'd leave. I didn't want to be the cause of others ruined relationships.

"Do you know when he will be back?" She asked in a bitchy tone.

"I really don't know. I just got here." I tell her.

"And who are you?" She asks me and seems a bit angry. I was right. This situation is going to cause problems.

"Um I'm Avery."

"Why are you here?" This girl and her questions. Did he really not tell her that he rented out the spare room? But better yet, if they were together, wouldn't he want her to have the room? Or maybe they just shared his.

"Mason let me move into the spare room." I say with a shrug. Her face lightens a little and a small smile goes over her face.

"I'm sorry if I was rude, I thought Mason found a new girl and was keeping it from us. I'm Lacey, Masons older sister. I didn't know he found someone for the room." She said.

"It's alright. I moved in yesterday. Do you want to come in and wait on him?" I asked her and she nodded. I opened the door more and let her in. She took a seat in the chair and I went back over to lay on the couch. I kind of felt uncomfortable here. Like would he be okay with me laying on his couch or should I just stay in my room? This is all his furniture. He may of gave me the room thinking I'd stay in the room when I was here.

"So Mason actually allowed you to rent the room? I didn't think he'd actually let someone rent it out." She asks me with a look of disbelief in her eyes.

"Yeah he did." I nod.

"He wasn't strict on you? He's turned away so many people in the last month because there is always a fault with them." She still held disbelief.

"He told me that he had a baby and wanted to make sure I was okay with it. He asked my age and if I partied or would have friends over a lot. I told him no and he said I could move in." I sum it up and give her a shrug. Before we got to talking more Mason walked in the door with Layla on his hip screaming.

"Hey little bro." Lacey said.

"Hey Lace. Let me lay her down real quick." Mason said and took off down the hall. He came back in a few minutes later. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to tell you that I can't keep Layla this weekend. I'm sorry but stuff came up and I have to go down to Kentucky to be with Bobbies mom." I decided to go back to sleep so that I wouldn't be listening to their conversation.

I woke up a little while later to something hitting my face. I opened my eyes and Layla was laying on the floor with a stick. I smiled and sat up. "Sorry about that." Mason said and came over, scooping her up.

"It's fine. I shouldn't be sleeping anyways." I said with a yawn. "Where is the closest store to here?"

"It's a few miles out of the city." He responded. "Do you need to go?"