Chapter 7

It almost seemed like a ridiculous miracle happened when April and Iris suddenly invited me to join them for dinner.

At first, the dining table was uncomfortably silent. I can sense their lingering gazes, it almost feel like they are looking for something in my face.

“So... Alectrona,” Iris started after how many minutes.

My eyes switched to them. I immediately felt it. They want to verify something. “Spill it. You won’t let me eat with you two if you don’t need anything,” I said frankly.

April’s face immediately twisted as she rolled her eyes. “You should be thankful though. Do not even use that tone on us. Baka nakakalimutan mo kung ano ko rito,” she said sharply.

Hindi ako nagsalita at pinagmasdan lang sila.

“Where were you last night?” Iris asked.

I unconsciously raised my eyebrow. I knew it. “Nandito sa bahay.” Of course, I won’t say anything about the party. They won’t hear what they wanted to know.

“Really? Manang said that you didn’t go home early,” she said using her annoying high-pitch voice.

Pinanatili kong blangko ang mukha at hindi nagbigay ng reaksyon. “Because I didn’t. 10 pm na ako naka-uwi. I stayed with my groupmates for thesis after our class. Nobody noticed me when I got home becuase some of the maids were already resting.”

Tumaas ang kilay ni Iris at mukhang hindi pa rin kumbinsido.

The thing is, this conversation has been decided. They won’t get anything from me tonight.

“What’s this all about?” I asked, still playing clueless.

“Did your bestfriend attended a party last night?” April finally asked.

“Mallory? I’m not sure. We didn’t have any plans to hangout last night.” I can lie in front of them smoothly. Wala silang mababasa sa mukha ko. It’s the tactic. If you don’t want to get caught lying, maintain an eye contact, try your best not to stammer and make sure your face expression isn’t readable at all.

Natahimik sila at nagkatinginan. “Why?” muli kong pagmamaang-maangan.

Tumikhim si Iris. “Nothing. We just want to make sure that you are not trying to sneak out,” aniya at nagpatuloy sa pagkain.

My lips curled and I almost snickered. Sneak out my ass.

Pagkatapos kumain ay para na ulit kaming hindi magkakakilala. I was the one who washed the dishes, as what always happen.

I spent my Saturday night doing some of my paperworks to avoid cramming in the future. It was a usual boring night, but I can’t help but to keep glancing on my phone.

Nangangati ang kamay kong i-text si Rush. I let go of the pen that I’m holding to grip my hair. I wanted to laugh at myself for thinking that. What would I even say? And why should I?

Sa huli ay muli na lang akong nag-check ng aking mga social media account. I kept scrolling until I found what I was looking for.

The album that’s going to be released by the Ludic Selcouth is one of the viral topics again online. It says that the album entitled bolt-hole we have will be released two weeks from now.

Bolt-hole. Like a place of escape or refuge. It already sounds oddly comforting to me.

* * *

Tita Carolina and Tito Sandro exactly arrived at 8 am on the Sunday morning. Tumulong ako sa mga kasambahay para buhatin at ayusin ang mga gamit nila. Iris and April also woke up early just to check the pasalubongs for them.