Chapter 8

“Do you want to dance?” Riggs asked after half an hour of just sitting and drinking on the couch.

I immediately shook my head. “Nah, I’m fine here.” I need to be at least careful. There’s a huge possibilty that Iris and April are also here. Mas okay nang mag-ingat dahil baka magpang-abot na naman kami.

I can’t let them ruin my night.

“Ah... C’mon, Alec... I promise, April isn’t with me, I don’t even know if she’s here. You don’t have to worry."

“I’m sorry, Riggs... I’m really fine here. You can dance if you want.” Saying no to someone is a must if you don’t really want what they are asking. Never let them pressure you from saying yes if you weren’t comfortable in the first place.

Ngumuso siya at bahagya pang lumapit sa’kin. “You know what, I said that I didn’t believe April and I don’t mean to be nosy, but why did she even said that you’re their maid?” he suddenly asked.

I wrinkled my nose as I stared at the dancefloor. Mallory is there, dancing wildly with a guy.

“Because I really am,” I answered. Nang tingnan ko ulit si Riggs ay nakakunot na ang noo niya at mukhang naguguluhan.

“You are?” he repeated.

“Yes.”

He scanned my face, it’s as if he can find the truth by just staring at me. I’m not planning to announce that April is actually my cousin. They’re addressing me as their maid, that just means that they don’t have any plans on introducing me as their relative. Para bang magdadala ’yon sa kanila ng kahihiyan.

I don’t mind though. If that’s what they want to address me, then so be it. I alone isn’t proud that I have a relative like them.

Ilang minutong natahimik si Riggs at mukhang hindi na alam ang sasabihin. What’s even the big deal with that? I don’t mind being called a maid if that’s the only way to finish my studies and have a shelter.

“Ka-school mate ka ba namin?” pag-iiba ko na lang sa usapan. Maybe it’s not that bad to talk to him, he looks okay after all. Wala pa naman siyang ginagawang hindi ko gusto, although I can tell that he’s a bit interested to me.

“Yeah. Taking up Psychology. Graduating.” My mouth formed O. So that’s why he and April knew each other. Madalas si April sa department na ’yon dahil kay Iris na iyon din ang course na kinukuha. I don’t really get it, Iris is studying Psych, but I think she’s the one who needs help because of the way she thinks.

“I see. Baka nakasalubong na natin ang isa’t-isa rati. I can’t just recognize you,” I said.

Pinakatitigan niya ako at tumango. “I do recognize you though, I just didn’t know your name.” Muling napataas ang kilay ko at pinagmasdan din siya. Riggs is undeniably good-looking. With his thick eyebrows, his slight chinky eyes, and pointed nose. He is tanned too and tall.

“Really?” tanging nasabi ko.

He licked his lips and nodded. “Madalas kayo sa university lagoon, hindi ba? We will usually pass there during vacant. That’s where I often see you.”

He chuckled when he saw my reaction. “It’s a pure coincidence, I swear. It’s just that you will always catch my attention for some reason.” Nag-iwas ako ng tingin. I don’t know what to say.

“You’re just too peaceful to look at,” he added. Umusog ulit siya palapit sa’kin habang naramdaman kong ipinatong niya ang kanang braso sa backrest na sinasandalan ko. I pursed my lips when he touched my chin and made me face him. He’s directly looking at my lips that I suddenly feel bothered. What the hell is he planning to do?

Ludic Selcouth #2: This Song Saved My Life On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara