Chapter 17

"It's even better in person!" Nadia yelled from our new kitchen. Piper came running across the room to me and I picked her up.
"It really is beautiful." I said, looking around at the open living room and kitchen.
I heard a knock on the door. I looked over at Nadia, a little bit confused. "Maybe the moving truck is here." I said, and I opened the door.
It was a police officer.
"Oh, hello officer."
"Good afternoon." He said, I gestured for him to come in, so he did and shut the door behind him. "I have some information for you, you are Mr. And Mrs. Baker, correct?"
"Well, we aren't married, but yes. I am Greg Baker." I explained to him.
"Okay, so I have some bad news. This home you bought has been taken by the state. The previous owner had stored bodies in here for months and because we don't know weather there are still some in here, we are required to take all of the walls down and we have to demolish the building after we take it apart." He said. Nadia had walked over half way through him talking to me, she clenched my hand. I was still holding Piper on the other side. "You have to evict the house immediately." He told us.
Since we didn't have anywhere to go, we called the moving truck company to see if our truck had left yet. Thankfully he hadn't left and could wait until the next day to leave so we could figure things out.
We checked into a hotel, and I left to go to the police station to fill out forms. The officer I had spoken to met me at the door when I got there. He explained that we were going to get everything we paid for the house back, and we wouldn't have to deal with anything about the house again.
When I finished filling out the forms, he handed me a stack of papers. I looked at them, they were house listings. He said he was also a realtor and he knew of some houses that would be perfect for us.
I went back to the hotel with the stack of papers. We were set to meet the officer at the first house at the end of his shift with the department, so we had a few hours to talk.
When I got back to the hotel, Nadia was crying. I walked in and put my arm around her. "It will all be okay, babe." I said.
"I know it will, but I just can't believe this. Everything is happening so quick. I meet you, and all of a sudden I'm in love, and moved three states away to get away from possible threats. Now the house we bought was taken because the previous owner is a nut case." She said.
"It's crazy. We've only known each other for just over three months, and we're living together, kinda, in a hotel room until we can find a house for us and our four kids." She snuggled her head into my chest. I hugged her tight.
"I know this is definitely not the time for this, but we really have no other time. While I was gone, I found out that Mike is also a real-estate agent, so he's going to meet us when he's done his shift and we're going to go look at a couple of houses. We can be in one by tomorrow if we want." I explained to Nadia. The crying stopped. I looked over at her, she was just off in another world. "Nad?" I said, she shook her head and looked at me.
"What? Sorry." She said. She obviously hadn't heard anything I said. I replayed the whole thing and she looked at me. "Are you serious?" She asked me.
"One hundred percent."
"That's so exciting!" She said a little too loud. She covered her mouth when she realized how loud she had yelled it. Owen rolled over when he heard her, but luckily he went right back to sleep. The poor babies, they had been stuck in that car, and now we couldn't even be in our new house.
"All I wanted was to be in a house, something we owned and could call home." I said.
"Me too, but I'm so excited we get to go later!" Nadia exclaimed.
"I'm having a nap before these kids wake up." I said. "I am exhausted, and I need to sleep. You should sleep, too." I told her. We laid down on the bed and Nadia was out within minutes.
I took a bit longer to fall asleep, but the next thing I knew, I heard a baby crying and my cellphone ringing.