5 | Missing Out

I passed out while writing this.

I apologize again for being two days late.

Here's a 2000-word chapter for y'all to compensate for it. 

Hope it's worth it!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

You thank the kids for their attention as Mrs. Pomp arrives back into the class from her trip to the restroom. She makes her way to the front of the class, while you head to the wall and lean back, watching as she teaches the kids 1st Grade-level math. You couldn't wrap your mind around this entire thing. Yes, you got a job, and yes, this is a normally-functioning summer school, but why is everything in it so irregular?

You scan the room and look at all of the people inside. We have a head in a heel, a live sock puppet, a series of random shapes, a girl with scribbled eyes and hair, and a kid with a supposed toilet as a head. You feel yourself start to hyperventilate again. You rub your temples and close your eyes for a bit. You force yourself to start thinking positive. 'You're just overreacting,' you tell yourself. 'Don't be scared, they're definitely not dangerous.'

You think back to meeting the staff. You recall their unique and friendly personalities — all like 'normal' people. All of a sudden, you figure out that you're not scared anymore. Your confusion shifts into fascination about this whole ordeal. 'If this is real, and a world like this has been existing since who knows when,' you ponder, tapping your fingers together eagerly, 'then there may be some other things we're missing out on!'

"And that concludes the lesson," Mrs. Pomp stomps on the ground, pulling you from your thoughts. "[Y/N], would you be a dear and pass out the practice sheets?" You flinch at the sudden mention of your name. "Oh, y-yeah, of course!" You mentally facepalm at your stuttering and walk to the big math machine, where the stack lays on top of it.

You pick up the papers, pushing away your previous thoughts, and pass them out to the kids. When said and done, you look at the time. 10:24 AM. Just as you pinpoint the time into your mind, Mrs. Pomp starts announcing to the class that they have ten minutes to complete the sheet, then four minutes to pack their things."

You set a ten-minute timer on your phone to stay on top of things, then take a big sip from the bottle/glass of [F/D] from earlier. You smile as the drink travels through your taste buds. You then look to your left to see Mrs. Pomp heading towards you. You quickly swallow the drink and wait for a request. "Could you set an alarm?" She asks. "Already done," you reply. She smiles and stomps on the ground... happily?

You both chuckle and she goes to walk around the classroom, looking over her pupils and seeing how they're all faring with the problems. You feel yourself grow happier every second. You're not quite sure why you were so on-edge earlier. You are certain that this is something you could get used to, after some time, of course. You let yourself relax a little bit as you watch your coworker roam next to the working students.

You jump as your alarm rings throughout the whole room. Mrs. Pomp looks at you expectantly. "Ahem," you cleared your throat, "time is up! Turn in your quick-checks to me, then go and pack up!" You call out to them, "you have four minutes until the day is over!" All the kids scramble over to you, handing you their worksheet, then packing their bags.

You heard the same tune from earlier coming from the intercom, signaling the school day's end. You feel a heavy weight lift from your shoulders. You say goodbye to everyone as they take their leave. When only you and Mrs. Pomp remain, you slide onto the ground and huff in exhaustion. She chuckles at your action, saying thereafter, "the first day really does that to you."