Chapter 10 | Let's Keep Camping

[F/C/F] - Favorite Camping Food

Hope you enjoy today's chapter.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

A cool breeze swims across your face as you slowly fall into consciousness. Your eyes gently flutter open, and you graciously take in your surroundings. The faint crackling of a flame can be heard, as well as the soft murmuring of voices seeping in from the slightly unzipped tent you lie in. Your hands ball into fists and you stretch your limbs out, letting out a slight yelp in the process. Your back starts crack-a-lacking while you pull yourself up into a sitting position.

You rub your somber eyes and your vision starts getting clearer. (If you wear glasses or contacts, you use this time to put them on.) All you can see and hear is the blue tent around you wiggling slightly while the early morning wind attacks it. You slowly take a look around to see empty sleeping bags and luggage laid next to them.

Leisurely, you crawl onto your knees, then make your way towards the patch of light from the tent's entrance. You then zip the tent back up and grab some clothes from your pack. You take out a black top and some baggy camouflage pants. (You may change the outfit to any other color[s] of your choosing.) You lay the items down and quickly begin to change.

You fold your old clothing and set it neatly beside your bag. You decide it's probably about time you leave the tent, so you go to do so. You unzip it and poke your head out. Thereafter, you see a pair of legs immediately stop walking a few inches away from you. Your gaze trails up to the person's face. "Baldi," you greet, "good morning."

"Oh, hi, [Y/N]." Baldi's look of surprise is obvious. You pause and chuckle at this awkward situation then speak. "Here, let me just get out of this thing." Baldi nods and steps back, patiently waiting for you to exit the tent. "Sorry about that, go on." You swish your hand in a shooing motion, and he goes to do whatever he was going to do.

You stretch a second time, letting out another silent scream as your body relieves its stiffness. "[Y/N], hello!" Mrs. Pomp grabs your attention and you lock eyes with her. "Morning, Mrs. Pomp," You both share an energetic look, "did you sleep well?" "Like a rock!" You both laugh at her statement.

"Come along, we're making hotdogs!" She guides you over to the campfire, where Prince, Playtime, and Beans are all holding their own 'dogs on a stick. All of them gleam at you, and you utter greetings and welcomes at each other. Prince hands you a stick, and motions over to the closed container of hotdogs lying on the ground. You thank him, walk over, and come back a few seconds later with your own impaled piece of meat.

You take a spot around the flame and roast your hotdog slowly with everyone else. While you do so, your eyes dart over to Arts and Crafters and the Bully who are sitting and talking. It was a pleasantly shocking sight — Bully being nice — but you were thankful that he could talk to someone without snapping.

You notice a tap on your left shoulder. After looking in the direction of the touch, the same goofy guy you know and love is standing right beside you, watching his hotdog roast. Wait a minute. 'Love?' You think back to this narration in your head. 'What is THAT supposed to mea—'

"What about you, [Y/N]?" The question brings your attention back to the present. "Huh?" You blink a few times and find Baldi looking at you quizzically. "sorry, could you repeat that?" Baldi gives you a funny look for a few moments, then repeats himself like you asked. "We were talking about our favorite camping snacks," he commented, "what's yours?"

You look back down at the bright light of the campfire in thought. "I got to go with [F/C/F]," you finally answer. Everyone acknowledges your reply, and the topic changes to different variations of s'mores. While they talk about some odd combinations, you look at your hotdog, which is now brown and slightly charred. You excuse yourself and go to grab a bun. Everyone else snatches their own bun as well.

"Wow, my sausage is so burnt," Prince laughs. "That's what happens when you get distracted," Mrs. Pomp comments. You listen in while applying some [condiment] on your 'dog. You all sit down on the grass in a circle. Playtime and Beans go to hang out with the other kids while you all converse amongst yourselves.

"While all the kids are gone," Mrs. Pomp gives all the staff a whimsical smirk, "when was the last time all of you sad, sad people got a date?" Everyone is flabbergasted at her sudden query, and while you are as well, you find humor in it and how it was asked. You swallow a piece of your snack and flip your hair. "My dating world, like you stated, is a sad one, indeed." You put a hand on your chin, "I haven't had a relationship since forever."

It seems like this statement wasn't one Mrs. Pomp expected, because she speaks up immediately. "What? [Y/N], I'm surprised!" "I am as well," Prince adds, "people like you are usually thriving when it comes to having partners." You feel your face flush, "aw, haha, I appreciate the thought, but I'm not that great."

You look at Baldi, whose expression is one of a shocked puppy. You wave your hand in front of him, and he starts to focus. "Anyways, enough about me," you give him a joking smile, "how's the dating life of a bald man?" This earns an insistent look from Baldi. "Not bald, actually. I have hair!" You all laugh at his response. "One hair."

You reach to flick the single strand of hair on his hand, but he grabs your arm before you can do so. Without any words, he holds it back down on your lap and starts to talk. "To answer your question, Prince and Mrs. Pomp already know this," he looks at them, then back at you. "but whenever I date someone, they break up with me very quickly."

You give him a sympathetic look, and go to put a hand on his shoulder. The only issue is that your hand will not move, and nor will your arm. You glance down at it, and it's still being held down by Baldi. He immediately lets go of it, and apologizes.

"[Y/N], sorry for not telling you sooner," Prince suddenly pipes up, "but Baldi's had a lot happen to him, so he doesn't like his hair being touched." "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" You put your hands on your head, opening your mouth to ramble, but Baldi reassures you, "it's alright, you didn't know."

The topic quickly changes into one of silly mistakes everyone has made in the past. Everyone forgets about the previous conversation, and you all have fun relating to each other for a while.

You can't stop the whisper in the back of your head telling you that you should try to talk to Baldi more.

Thank you for reading the Chapter 10 | Let's Keep Camping! I hope you're ready for the future events that are in store in New Horizons. See y'all next Sunday ~ ★