Mist's and Mika's backstory

*Mika's Pov*

I'd never forget the moment I first met her, it still practically feels like yesterday that I befriended Mist. It was the first day of middle school and my parent's were recently going through a divorce so I was really not too excited about school.

"Mom! I don't wanna go!" I bent my ears down as I gave her my best sad herbivore eyes. My mom smiled at me taking my hand in her's she walked me to the gate. "This is it Mika, a new city, new school, a new start." I pouted as I gripped her shirt. "I don't want to! I wanna go back home!" I whimpered remembering that my mom was the one who left him, taking me with her. "Enough Mika, no more whining. Go in and have a good day okay?" I watched her get up and walk out the door. I was about to sneak off till the female gazelle instructor seen me. The teacher smiled at me. "You must be a new student, freshman orientation is in the gymnasium." I nodded nervously as I looked around. I made it an the ceremony started. I stood next to a female red wolf. She was kind of short, which was weird.

We made our way to our home rooms. All the other students gathered up in their groups. I sighed sitting by myself. I sat my head down that was until I heard the screeching of a chair against the floor. It sounded like it was coming my way. I sat up and saw the same, small Red wolf sitting at my desk with me. "Hi." I about fell out of my chair. "A carnivore is talking to me! Am I going to die, is she planning on eating me?!" I was torn out of my thoughts when the teacher walked in. She was a female Sika deer. The doe elegantly walked in the place and just stood in front of the classroom. "Okay class, I'm your teacher Suzuki-sensei. I'm going to give your seating assignments, these will be your seats for the rest of the year." I was sighed a breath of relief. My face was in utter disbelief. The Red wolf was sat on my right side, beside me.

During lunch I was eating my bento when she sat her desk beside mine. "Hi, I'm Mist you're Mika right?" I sat there frozen. "Y-Yeah!" She open her lunch box and I saw vegetables and a strawberry sandwich cut in half with white rice. "You don't eat protein, you're a carnivore aren't you?" Her ears lowered a bit as she took a bite of her rice with her chopsticks. I looked at her fingers she was trying her best to conceal her nails even though they didn't look that sharp. I finally noticed her nervous gaze and I read her body language. "She's hiding her nails, she's looks uneasy and her tail is tucked in, could she be scared?" I tapped the desk to get her attention. "Oh sorry!" She bowed hitting her head against the desk causing the class to stare and laugh at her. This caused her to flush red from embarrassment. "This girl! She's... so adorable it's criminal! This carnivore acts more like a herbivore than a carnivore...?!" My eyes widened as I remembered her actions earlier and she acts more like a herbivore it all made sense now.

After lunch it was gym class, I didn't like it. "Teacher! My stomach hurts, I can't... it hurts!" I faked a stomach cramp and the teacher looked concerned. "Oh dear, maybe you should stay here and rest for a bit." Mist raised her hand and the teacher pointed at her. "I'll stay with her to make sure she's okay and if she gets worse I can carry her to the nurse's office." The teacher looked at Mist nervously. "M-Mika is that okay with you?" I nodded slowly as I put my head down on my desk. The class changed and left to play soccer outside while Mika and I sat in the classroom.

"You can stop faking they're gone now." I sat up shocked that she figure it out. "H-How did you-?!" She laid her head down on my desk and stared at me. "My sister used the same trick to get out of history." She looked at me like an adorable puppy for someone reason I couldn't help it. I hugged her instantly. I felt my body move quickly backwards. Mist looked terrified. "W-What's wr-rong with y-you?! You c-can't so h-hug someone like t-that with out w-warning, it's r-rude!" I twiddling my fingers a bit as she scolded me. Though it was more like stuttering statement than yelling. "S-Sorry, i didn't mean to startle you... you were just so precious like a little pup! I couldn't help it, I have little cousins who act all cute like that so it's just reflex." We stared at each other for a moment and laughed. "I guess, I do things that make me look extra precious like my parents say but I never believed it. They were actually telling the truth after all!" The bell rang signaling gym was over and the other students would be returning soon. We sat down and continued talking. "So why weren't you eating any protein like carnivores usually do?" She scratched her head nervously. "Well... I'm 25% herbivore, red squirrel to be exact and I'm 75% wolf, I just happened to take after the herbivore side more, by the way I act and what foods I like to eat by my preference. I usually eat herbivore food on menu's rather than eating from the carnivore menu." Mika turned her head side to side to make sure no one was coming this way, we didn't hear anyone so we thought they're still getting changed. "So have you thought about it?" Mist looked at me confused. "About what?" I leaned closer and whispered to her. "Eating meat." She jumped back shocked to hear that. "W-Why would you ask such a thing?! Of course not! I'm part herbivore, besides I think it's wrong and immoral anyways. Carnivores work side by side herbivore and eat meat like nothings strange with that also I can't stand the smell of blood so meat is definitely out of the question!" Mist covered her nose and I laughed at her cute reaction. I laid my head down cheerfully. "I'm kind of relieved and curious, it's nothing everyday you get meet a hybrid especially one that's so well mannered and adorable, besides I only asked I thought you were a hybrid by the way you act, you you're a little weird but that's a good thing." Mist nodded and laughed. "Yeah also meat withdraw is real nasty, once you get addicted it can get real ugly." I nodded remembering what I heard on the news. "I know I heard about something like that on the news! So scary!" Mist nodded too.

Soon enough the others came back and we continued with the day chatting with other. We arrived at our lockers to change our shoes and we saw a piece of paper on Mist locker that read "Hybrid Freak!" Mist and I were shocked. "Mist you didn't tell anyone hear did you?" She shook her head and a scary thought crossed my mind. "I didn't tell anyone I swear, if that's what you're thinking! I know how people these days can treat hybrids!" Mist placed her hand on my shoulder. "I know it's wasn't you, we've been talking all day besides I think someone might have ease dropping." Her ears lowered. She hugged her knees and sighed. "I changed school three times due the bullying in elementary school, I don't want to transfer again." I smiled at her. "Don't worry we're friends now, we're in this together! We'll change the way society looks and fight the bullies together!" Mist looked at me nervously. "No physical fighting right?!" I looked at her confused. "What are you saying you don't fight either, you a wolf for crying out loud?!" Mist whined sadly. "I'm a pacifist by heart. I can fight but I try to avoid conflict, I don't like it at all!" I put my hands on my hips angrily. "Mist you got to toughen up!"
*End of flash back*

I jumped up as something cold hit my face. "Eek!" I looked up and seen Mist smiled at me giving me a cold can of green tea. "Found you, come on I'll walk you to your dorm. It's getting late." I nodded getting up. "So what we're you thinking about, you seemed lost in thought Mika?" I stared up at the orange sky as I walked with her to my dorm. "A memory that I'm very fond of." Mist got all excited and smiled. "What memory?!" I smirked as I ran away. "I'm not telling you, you have to figure it out!" I ran off with Mist chasing behind whining about how I was unfair.