eleven

"Are you serious?" Fahad asked his sister for the umpteenth time that day, and her answer was still yes. She laughed at her brother's reaction, who was finding it hard to believe that Arsalaan cooks for her every day. Ever since she tasted his food, Malaika became a fan and then demanded him to cook for her every single day, which he gladly did.

"Yes, he is an amazing cook and no one has ever tasted his creations except me and now I miss eating his special recipes."Malaika pouted sadly, her brother looked at her as though she was an alien. It was such a shocker that, Arsalaan Baig has been taking such good care of her. He knew how boring his ex-best friend is and how he'd never waste his time apart from work and his bratty sister. Hearing such nice things from his sister's mouth about Arsalaan has left him speechless, to say the least. He really was changing so much and that made Fahad happy somewhere.

"Whatever. Eat your lunch now." Fahad gave her a smile as she reluctantly ate her food. Malaika came to stay in the Abbasi mansion, upon her family's insistence and she had a great time. She really did. Getting to know her family once again was fun and all. But there was this little corner of her heart that got so used to him and his presence that she has been missing him like a crazy woman. And to say it was only just two days was driving her insane. She still had a week more to stay here. Will she even survive?

"Bhai. I'm done. I can't eat these anymore. The spinach is so bitter." she made a face whilst pushing the plate away, Shahana who just came to the dining hall smiled at that sight. Memories might fade, but habits don't.

"Tablets." Malaika's face paled at that word as she gave her mother a horrified look," no. I just had this bitter lunch. I'll eat that afterwards, please ammi!"

"Stop being a baby. I don't know how did you eat these for a whole month?" Fahad asked with an amused smile, it's been a month since that accident. A month since Malaika has been staying with Arsalaan. And her family were worried sick about her, but now looking at her made them realize that they have been worrying over nothing. She was doing more than just fine and Arsalaan turned out to be a good guy which was a shocker. But still, they'd never forget what he did nor will they ever forgive him.

"Yes, I have been eating them for a month now. Don't I get to take a rest or something?" Malaika whined but her mother's face made her shut up as she took the tablets with a huff and gulped them in a go whilst making disgusting faces.

Shahana and Fahad laughed at her reactions, as she glared at them. God, they missed having her around.

"I should sleep now, Arsalaan would be so mad if I skip my usual routine," Malaika muttered to herself and walked out of the dining hall, while her mother and brother shared a look. Which was of shock and surprise. They surely didn't expect Malaika to be praising Arsalaan so much.

A sad smile appears on Fahad's face as he too walked out of there, reminiscing the old memories, of the time when he and Arsalaan used to be best friends. Always inseparable and close. Even if he hated Arsalaan for whatever he did with his sister, he still missed his mate. But he'd never say that aloud.

***

Tossing and turning from left to right, Malaika tried to catch some sleep at every angle, but the damn sleep was far away from her eyes. All she could think was Arsalaan and how amazingly he'd take care of her, how they'd discuss his business together, as she herself was a commerce student. She would always listen to his talks with keen and utmost interest. He even promised to teach her all the subjects once again, so that she'd join back the college. And now, he is refusing to leave her mind.

Which was starting to drive her mad, Malaika got up from the bed with a huff and walked straight to her parent's room. Her father was out in the office, so without having to knock she barged in with all rights, Shahana looked at her daughter quizzically as she came and sat in front of her.