Chapter 36

"Do you guys really have to fly back to Los Angeles?" I whine from the porch. "Yes and it would be nice if you help us pack the car," Maggie sighs. I refuse to help them pack anything because that only delays their departure from Florida. "I think I'll just continue sitting here. Seriously though. Why can't you guys just stay for another week?" I ask them.

"Soph, we talked about this. Maggie has to get back to school and I'm helping move her in. After that, I have to report back to my club team," Servando informs me once more. I continue to sulk on porch as they go back inside.

"Still refusing to help?" Alex asks as she sits down next to me. "I don't want them to leave. Besides, you're not helping either," I state flatly. "That's because I need to be close to the bathroom in case I get sick again," she laughs lightly. "Do you need a ride to your doctors appointment later?" I ask. She stokes my hair gently and smiles. "I should be okay to drive. I just hope they figure out what's going on," she sighs. I rest my head on her shoulder, watching as Maggie and Servando pack the final boxes.

"Alright that's everything. We should get going so we have some extra time before our flight leaves," Servando announces. I groan loudly and push myself off of the porch. Maggie opens her arms and pulls me in for a tight hug.

"I'll be home before you know it. In the meantime, call or text me whenever you want," she says and kisses the side of my head. We hug for another minute longer before pulling away.

"Come here kiddo," Servando smiles slightly. "You just have to go six weeks without us. Then we'll be back for our day in family court," he reassures me. "That day can't come quick enough," I sigh. "It will. Do me a favor in the meantime. Look after Alex. Help her out whenever she's not feeling great," he insists. "I will I promise," I tell him.

Alex wraps her arms around my shoulders as we watch them back out of the driveway and disappear down the street. "My heart feels like it just pooped its pants. I miss them already," I sigh. "My god you're making me emotional," Alex laughs while fanning her eyes of any tears.

...

"Alright I gotta go," Alex announces and pushes herself off of the couch. "You sure you don't need a ride?" I ask once more. "I'm alright. I'll see you in a bit," she says and kisses my head.

My phone buzzes aggressively in my pocket, drawing my attention. I pull it out of my pocket and see a text from Addison.

"There's a end of the summer/kick off the school year party tonight. You in?" it reads.

I smile devilishly and text her back. How could I say no to party right before the start of my junior year? Another text from Addison lights up my phone.

"Pick you up at 8pm ;)" it says.

"Better go figure out what I'm wearing to this thing tonight," I sigh happily and rush upstairs.

...

*Alex's POV*
"Mrs. Morgan are you alright? If you would like, we can run the test again, though there usually isn't much mistake with these kinds of things," my doctor informs me.

Her words are fuzzy, nearly inaudible. My mind races at the news I've just received. "Th-that's alright. Thank you," I whisper as a tear slips down my cheek. "I'll give you some time to process. Whenever you're ready, just stop by the desk to make another appointment," she smiles before leaving the room.

After some time, I finally drag myself out of the room and towards the front desk. "Hope everything went well. Your doctor would like to see you back here in three days," the receptionist smiles. I force a smile in return and take the appointment card from her.