Chapter 39

Author's note: Hi everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to update this book. I appreciate all of you who have continued to read and support each chapter that is put out. I promise to start posting the chapters more often. Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Alex's POV*

Today is finally the day that Servando and Maggie return to Orlando. Sophia and I have practically been counting down the days since the minute they walked out the door six weeks ago. My excitement was so high last night that I barely got any sleep. I quietly roll out of bed, careful not to wake Kona and Blue and make my way to Sophia's room.

"Morning," I smile as I lean against her door frame. A smile creeps up on her face as she rubs her tired eyes. "Did you sleep at all last night?" she asks. I laugh and shake my head. "Not at all," I smile. "Me either. I was watching the clock all night," she chuckles.

"Well we've got a few hours until their flight lands. I still need help figuring out how I'm going to tell Servando about the pregnancy," I explain as I sit on her bed. She pushes herself up into a sitting position and smiles. "I bet we can figure something out. We should go shopping. That way we can pick something up and I can get a new dress for the adoption hearing tomorrow," she grins. I give her a skeptical look. "Is this your way of getting me to pay for said dress?" I question. She laughs and nods her head. "Get changed and meet me in the car," I smile as I pat her leg.

...

"So what kind of dress are you looking for?" I ask Sophia as we wander through the mall. She looks mesmerized by the clothes as she drags her hand along the store windows. Sophia has never been one to get excited about shopping so I'm surprised she insisted on looking for a new dress. Usually she just throws on my old Cal sweatshirt and some jeans and calls it a day.

"Mm I don't know. Nothing too flashy. I just want to look nice tomorrow," she shrugs, not taking her eyes off of the display windows. "You'll look beautiful no matter what you wear," I smile, kissing the side of her head. She mumbles a thank you before pulling me into a nearby store.

...

"Okay what about this one," Sophia asks. I sigh and slump down onto the bench. "Soph this is like the fifteenth dress you've tried on. You look great in all of them," I tell her. She huffs and crosses her arms. "Alex I'm serious! I need your opinion," she frowns. I sigh and then motion for her to spin around so I can look at the dress. I like this one. It's a nice maroon color with light pink flowers spotted all over it. "I like it Soph. You should get it," I tell her. She frowns, still looking unsure. "Are you sure? This isn't too casual?" she questions, looking herself over in the mirror. "Soph why are you stressing out so much?" I ask her. She turns to face me then plops down next to me on the bench.

"I don't know. I think I'm just nervous about tomorrow," she explains. I start to panic a bit, worrying that she may be having second thoughts. "Are you not sure about doing this? We can always hold off," I ask nervously. She looks at me in shock, almost surprised by my question. "No! No! It's not that. Of course I want to go through with this. I guess it's more like I'm feeling overwhelmed. I never thought this day would come. I just figured I'd be thrown into the system until I turned 18," she explains. I take her hand in mine and give it a gentle squeeze.

"Well tomorrow is gonna be great. We're gonna make this official and then we're gonna celebrate," I grin. I can see a small smile start to spread across her face. "Come on. Grab the dress and whatever else you liked and let's get out of here," I laugh. She eagerly jumps to her feet and begins grabbing as many items as she can carry.