Chapter 1 - The West

Ultaire Straza : Do you think that these Easterners know we even exist? How long until they realize that we are a force to be reckoned with? As blind as they are when walking into the Basin, their eyes are shut to the world around them. My friends! Now is the time for action. Now is the time to conquer!

The crowd around Ultaire cheer and Elzabeth looks to his mother.

Diann Phyrra : What is it, sweetie?

Elzabeth Phyrra : Am I going to have to go?

Diann : Of course. You're one of our best. Bare you teeth, force them to kneel and give you their silver. You'll do fine, Elza.

Elzabeth : What of Albea? Aren't they in the East? We trade with them.

Diann : They have fallen. We use this time to take their land, expand, and conquer. Understand?

Elzabeth : Yes mother.

They walk back to their house, and they see Elzabeth's father outside.

Trisha Phyrra-De'zha : Elza, your weapons and armor are inside.

Elzabeth : Okay.

Elzabeth heads inside and gets his armor on. Bright steel, with red trim. He ties his hair in braids and ties it again into a bun. He puts the helmet on and looks into the mirror. Its sleek and smooth, with a plume coming out of the back. The vision is clear coming out of the helmet, and he adjusts the collar and attaches the pauldrons. He steps out, and sees his parents fighting.

Elzabeth : Excuse me.

Diann : Oh, Elza? Where are your weapons?

Elzabeth : I'll pick them up when we're ready to leave.

Trisha : Diann.

Diann : Sorry sweetie, could you let me speak to your father privately. Go talk with the other kids.

Elzabeth : I'm not a child anymore, but fine.

Elzabeth walks through the center and the women who see him in his armor whistle at him. A couple of girls from the other head clans stop him.

Siam Straza : Hey, are they letting men join us?

Telys Alchua : They should really teach you to learn your place.

Elzabeth : You'll die without me.

Siam : We don't need a man to help us in the East. I should tell my father, he'll set you straight.

Elzabeth : Go ahead. I'm the only child of the Phyrra clan, and Conquest states that each clan must send their eldest. I am the eldest.

Telys : Yeah, but you're also a man. You're supposed to stay home and support your wife. Who told you can fight.

Elzabeth : The Conquest Code.

Siam : Leave this idiot. He'll just die there anyways.

As they are about to leave, Elzabeth stops them.

Elzabeth : A duel.

Siam : I'm not going to fight a man. Telys. You fight.

Telys : F-fine.

Elzabeth gets wooden swords and hands one to Telys. She takes it and assumes a stance similar to fencing. Elzabeth stands firmly and points the sword towards Telys.

Elzabeth : First one down wins.

Telys : I understand how a duel works.

Telys lunges at Elzabeth, who dodges and slams the wooden blade into her back. As she is about to fall, she sticks the sword into the ground to stop her fall. As she gets up, Elzabeth knocks her sword away and kicks her feet. He points the sword at her as she lies in the dirt.

Siam : Telys, you lost?!

Telys : Don't rub it in. You refused a duel directed at you.

Elzabeth : It was for both of you. You two fight me while I'm out numbered.

Siam : Ha! You think I'll fall for that?! You're just a weakling. I could kill you for real if I had to.

Elzabeth : Then I'll take up your offer. Get your weapon, and meet me back here. I'll do the same.

As Elzabeth walks away, Siam looks at him with pure anger. As he enters the house, he grabs his great bow, sword, and greataxe. He attaches the sword onto his hip, and carries the axe over his shoulder. He sits in the center, waiting for Siam to return. As she walks towards the center, he gets up, and stretches. She unsheathes her longsword and points it towards Elzabeth.

Elzabeth : Ready?

Siam : To see your head in the mud.

She lunges at Elzabeth, who dodges her and grabs her arm. He breaks it and throws her onto the floor.

Elzabeth : Last words?

Siam : You're different... than the other men. Can we put this aside for now?

Elzabeth : Alright.

Elzabeth helps her up, and takes her to the infirmary.

Siam : I can't go now, but I feel like it is a blessing. Mother will punish me, but getting to know you was worth more.

Elzabeth : I only dislocated your arm. How is that getting to know me?

Siam : You're stronger than most men. Independent. Quite beautiful actually.

Elzabeth : Thank you.

Siam : Would you be mine?

Elzabeth : I'm sorry?

Siam : After you return, will you marry me?

Elzabeth : I'll... see about it. When the doctor realigns your arm, make sure you don't clench. It'll make it harder to get it back into the socket.

Siam : I will. Be safe for me.

Elzabeth leaves the infirmary and heads to the docks. He gets looks as he takes a seat on the ship. There aren't any men. As the ship leaves the docks, their parents cheer. He looks back, and only sees his mother. He lets out a sigh, and puts his helmet on. He takes his great bow and draws an arrow. As the clouds dissipate, a harpy tries to swoop down on them. He lets the arrow fly, and it pierces the harpy in both of its wings. It falls into the ocean and sinks. The women are unimpressed, and their hate grows.