Chapter 3 - Journey to the Basin

They head towards the inn.

Elzabeth : So this is D'carthe?

Vetri : Yes. My name is Vetri, by the way.

Elzabeth : It's nice to meet you. It is weird, to see a place like this so close to the curse.

Vetri : Is it that strange? There are the same skies as the rest of the world.

Elzabeth looks up to the sky and sees three moons.

Elzabeth : I only know of the one.

Vetri : Maybe the air is cleaner here. Come, it's best to prepare before going to the wall.

Elzabeth : Wall?

Vetri : The fortress, Ae'yeth. The demons try to force their way in, but we have done everything we can to stop their advance.

Elzabeth : Is it past those mountains there?

Vetri : Yes, through E'yeth passage. Our early ancestors carved the passage through the mountains.

Elzabeth : What are you exactly? You look human, but with animal features.

Vetri : I am a Valune. There are others, Cania, Kathe, and Gorgons.

Elzabeth : I assume they take the features of the animal they're called?

Vetri : Yes. Could you tell me about your home? The West.

Elzabeth : We have a clan system. The current cycle holds women at the top, and men are considered inferior. When a male hero rises, a new cycle begins.

Vetri : So... roles are determined by the best of your people?

Elzabeth : Yes. Our last war, which led to the current cycle, was with a dead kingdom. They wielded curved blades. A woman was said to stand on top of their corpses, with spear and shield in hand. From there, they say she killed their king with a single javelin. Her name was Ala.

Vetri : So, if you were to become a hero?

Elzabeth : The cycle would change, and men will take a dominant role.

They enter the inn and take a seat at a table.

Vetri : Couldn't you just defy the cycle?

Elzabeth : I have. They branded me with a new name and forced me to act submissive. It's against our faith to defy the cycle.

Vetri : Do you remember your old name?

Elzabeth : No. My mother refuses to tell me as well. Yet, my father promised to tell me when I get back. It led to them constantly fighting. He could be killed if he isn't careful.

Vetri : Scary. You don't mind if I help you change history, yeah?

Elzabeth : You... want to make me a hero?

Vetri : Why not? You're already one of those Kingslayers. A perfect fit.

Elzabeth : I suppose. Assistance never hurt anyways. Yes.

Vetri : To end this curse!

Elzabeth : Only have to hope we make it back in one piece.

Elzabeth taps his glass on Vetri's, and they chug the beer.

Vetri : You see that gorgon over there?

Elzabeth : Yeah?

Vetri : She'd probably fall for you.

Elzabeth : I'm... not sure that's a good idea.

Vetri : Come on! It's just a bit of fun! Oh! Look, she's coming over here.