Chapter 7 - Forever?

Lune : Mom. What is Dad like?

Seraphelle : Oh, he's really nice. I'm sure you would get along with him. He's from the west.

Lune : The Western Clans, right?

Seraphelle : Ah... yes... uhm... how do you already know?

Lune : She told me.

Seraphelle : She? Who are you talking about?

Lune : Father's goddess. Phyrra.

Seraphelle chokes on her water.

Seraphelle : Is there... anything else she's telling you?

Lune : Prepare. She said once father attempts to lift the curse, something is going to happen. She never said what, but only to prepare. Mom. I need a weapon.

Seraphelle : Lune. Honestly, I wouldn't want to see you leave like your father. I had to hold back all my selfish desires just so he could go into the Basin. I can't do that again, and not with you.

Lune : She's telling me to. She said I can't disobey, it's crucial.

Seraphelle : It may be, but I am your mother, and I said no.

Lune gets up from the table and walks to the door.

Seraphelle : You need clothes! Also, I told you you're not going.

Lune : Mom, I'll be fine. I swear.

Seraphelle : Lune. Sit, just for a minute.

Lune sits back down at the table, and Seraphelle holds her hand. She stares into Lune's eyes, and brushes her hair.

Seraphelle : I'm always worried about you. If your father never comes back, you're all I have left.

Lune : I'm an adult now.

Seraphelle : I... always thought we would have the usual ten years with most Gorgons until you hit maturity. You're still my baby. I don't want you to fight, the stress and horror if I never see you come back home.

Lune : Mom!

Seraphelle stops brushing her hair. She wipes the tears from her face, and Lune's horns are fully grown. The blueish scales on her start to shed for the last time, and they fall off to show the same scales as Seraphelle. Her horns look as if they are a crown.

Seraphelle : You... can handle yourself... can't you?

Lune : I can mom. I promise. Phyrra guides us.

Seraphelle : They guide us... Lune, I'll let you go, but promise me you be safe.

Lune : I already have-

Seraphelle : Forever. Not once will you ever need help and you'll be perfectly safe.

Lune : I can't promise forever...

Seraphelle : I can't expect you to. Come, we'll dress you first, and then you can go out for what you need.

Seraphelle dresses Lune in traditional Gorgon clothes. The black skirt with gold adornments and red patterns hugs her hips, and Seraphelle wraps her chest and pins it. It's tight enough to not immediately be yanked off, but the cloth is soft to the touch. She gives Lune a ruby and three garnets.

Seraphelle : It should be more than enough for what you need, okay?

Lune : Okay mom. Love you.

Seraphelle : I love you, too, Lune. Too much.