Chapter 6 - The Blood Runs Dry

Elzabeth tends to Vetri's wounds. He takes the bandages off, and cleans the excess blood and pus. He soaks a fresh cloth in alcohol and wraps it back up. He grinds medicinal herbs and hands it to Vetri.

Elzabeth : Medicinal herbs. Painkillers. Take it now, and when we get to another crystal I should be able to stitch the wound closed so it can't reopen.

Vetri : Think I'm going to die here?

Elzabeth : If we plan accordingly, you shouldn't. Aegis. We're leaving now.

Aegis : Yes, Kingslayer. Be safe.

Elzabeth helps Vetri up, and they descend further down into the Basin. They see the remnants of the slums from Lerenotia. The wood used for housing makes a path to walk on, which leads deeper into darkness. They descend, stopping for nothing. As they reach the ruins of the common areas, they notice something. A mass of flesh is patrolling the area, walking back and forth repeatedly whispering the words "She lied to us" quickly. Elzabeth looks around, and finds an alternate path but it is littered with shards of splintered crystals. It would be hazardous for Vetri to crawl through. He picks up a rock, and tosses it towards the furthest part of the path and the monster follows the sound. They pass through, but Vetri steps on a crystal shard. It whips around and lobs its arm at Vetri. Elzabeth pulls him out of the way, and cuts through the flesh. The veins inside shoot out towards the monster and the arm reattaches itself. The monster stands still as no noise is made. Elzabeth notices this, and takes a firebomb from his pouch. He lights it, and throws it into the monster's flesh. They run through the passage, and the monster blows up as they reach the ruins of the common areas.

Vetri : Ha... We're completely safe now... right?

Elzabeth : As long as we're here, being safe isn't an option. Are you sure you want to descend with me?

Vetri : What's the worst that could happen-

The ground under Vetri collapses and he falls further into the Basin. Elzabeth looks over the edge, and sees the area is barely supported. He can't see Vetri, and looks ahead. A knight stands in his way. They take their helmet off.

Elzabeth : Your name.

Iaphram : Iaphram. A knight of Albea.

Elzabeth : A demon?

Iaphram : There are these stones that were by the throne. They absorb the curse.

Elzabeth : So you're safe?

Iaphram : I am safe. Can I get your name?

Elzabeth : Elzabeth. Elzabeth Phyrra.

Iaphram : Lauguet. Iaphram Lauguet. You're going to go for your friend?

Elzabeth : He'll die by himself.

Iaphram : It should be fine. I saw a woman down here, about a couple of hours ago.

Elzabeth : What color was her armor?

Iaphram : A corroded green. Why? Do you know her?

Elzabeth : Alhelm. She wants to kill us.

Iaphram : It's nothing to rush to our deaths for. Come, lets head down together. Straight towards me and it shouldn't collapse.

Elzabeth follows Iaphram's directions and they continue together. Iaphram shows Elzabeth a shortcut before they head any further.

Iaphram : That pit there has some tunnels that head further down faster. I used them to come back here faster.

Elzabeth : It just looks like a pit. Are you sure its a shortcut?

As Elzabeth looks at the pit, Iaphram kicks him into it. As he falls into the pit, he throws a lit firebomb back up and it explodes in Iaphram's face.

Iaphram : Ah, you bastard! You thought you would get me with that? Have fun with those hollows down there then. They like having new friends to play with.

As Elzabeth gets up and three more knights that bear the same armor as Iaphram stare at him. Elzabeth draws Repentance, and they start to scream and swing aimlessly.

Iaphram : My old platoon. Have fun with them, yeah? Ha!

Elzabeth kicks one of them away, as Iaphram continues on the path laughing. Elzabeth slices through the gap of the first hollow's armor, and kicks them to the floor. He swings the hilt into the side of the second hollow's head, and throws them onto the third. He walks up to the third on the floor, and stabs them through the neck. He looks around, and sees a ladder that descends further. He takes it, ending up at a small hut. He peers through the window, and sees a piglet sitting on the table. It stares at him, and Elzabeth opens the door.

Elzabeth : A nice home you have here. You aren't going to try and kill me, right?

He pets the piglet, and he looks at Elzabeth.

??? : So you enter without knocking, and then pet me like I'm some puny animal.

Elzabeth : Uhm...

Klaus : My name is Prince Klaus of the Albean Empire. You shall refer to me as such, and refrain from harassing me.

Elzabeth : Ah. I'm not surprised honestly after all I've seen so far.

Klaus : Mind your manners. Iaphram. I'm sure if you're here, you might have met him.

Elzabeth : Yes, I have.

Klaus : He was a serial killer and a thief. I was honestly surprised to see him alive.

Elzabeth : How long has it been since the Basin formed? The journal reads like it was yesterday.

Klaus : Oh, you have Rickert's histoire. I presume he's dead? He was a good friend. Ah, but yes. That is because time here is frozen.

Elzabeth : Frozen?

Klaus : No one ages. No one gives birth. No one heals their wounds. It's all a frozen in a singular point in time.

Elzabeth : How did you figure that out?

Klaus : It has been about five years since your people heard we sent troops here in Lerenotia, yes? I've had pregnant handmaids who should have long given birth. Men with broken bones whose wounds should have set. To be permanently stuck in the form you had while entering this place, it's an anomaly.

Elzabeth : If you were the prince who came to Lerenotia, where is your body? I'm sure you aren't actually a piglet.

Klaus : Oh, you're so perceptive! Its gone. Iaphram is to blame, he stabbed me and the only suitable body my mages at the time could use was a piglet from nearby. Damn him. The next time you see him, I want you to kill him. I hope he rots. Understand. If you got past those hollow soldiers, you should be able to kill him.

Elzabeth : Do you... want to come?

Klaus : There's no point. Albea is dead, and so is Lerenotia. I hope I'm able to starve to death, my options are limited with these hooves. When you leave, there should be a path that Iaphram uses to get back to where he showed up. That whole play he pulls where he tells you walk to him. You know.

Elzabeth bows and leaves the house. He looks around for the path. He lifts a stone away from the wall, and finds it. He crawls through and sees a ladder. He climbs it up, and walks down the tunnel. He sees a faint light and looks down. Its the same spot he saw Iaphram standing. He jumps down, and continues down the path. He keeps Repentance unsheathed, and finds the path leads to a drop. He looks to the sides, but the only way is down. He grabs a hold of the ledge, and drops down.