Chapter 18 - The Consequence of Choice

"He didn't kill our parents and he is not going to kill us."

Tokki and Anja sat beneath a rock overhang, a small fire crackled, giving off heat and light to ward off the foggy chill. Veld hopped between the two of them pecking at small crumbs of tack that Tokki had laid out.

Anja shook her head skeptically. "If he didn't kill our parents, then why would Ratatoskr say he did?"

"Because he is a cruel and callous squirrel," replied Tokki.

"You mean was a cruel squirrel. And who is being callous now?"

Just beyond the fire, the lithic statue of Ratatoskr stood stark against the foggy backdrop, the garm's gargoyle only a few feet further away. Tokki had wanted to leave the spot, unnerved by the nearby monuments of death, but Skari was completely listless and there was no moving him until he woke. Anja also wished to stay close to Ratatoskr, desperately hoping that even in his petrified state, he might provide more answers. All morning they waited, but Skari did not rouse and the stone squirrel uttered not a word.

Anja took a drink from her waterskin and wiped her mouth. "There are certainly things that Skari has withheld from us and that, I do not like," she said.

Tokki was silent, tending to the seer. Skari had saved them from the garm... had killed Ratatoskr. There were many folds in Skari's tapestry and Tokki was troubled trying to separate fact from fiction.

"The squirrel was a liar," said Tokki finally. "I don't see why you put stock in anything he said."

"Because I believe him. Ratatoskr looked me in the eye, and I believe he told me truth. Truth with his last breath."

"Lies to the bitter end."

Anja did not want to fight with her brother over it. She knew Tokki liked Skari. Her brother had latched on to the seer immediately. He listened intently to every story of Huldu life the seer told while they hiked. Besides Arden, Skari was probably the kindest man that Tokki ever had to look up to. But Tokki had not been a part of the conversation she had shared with Ratatoskr; the one where he seemed compassionate and concerned. Tokki was not close enough to hear Ratatoskr's final warning. "Let's just ask Skari when he wakes up."

"Ask Skari?" Tokki laughed. "Ask him how? Oh, hi Skari! Glad you are feeling better. Thanks for saving us from that beastly dog and... did you murder our parents?"

"I was thinking of asking with a bit more tact than that."

Skari stirred. "There is no tactful way to discuss this. How about I just answer the question directly," he said groggily. Veld cawed and alighted to perch himself on a nearby rock.

"Skari!" Tokki scrambled to help the old seer ease his way to a sitting position. Anja stood above him with her arms crossed.

"So, you've been awake all this while?" she asked coolly.

Skari's eyes were red and bloodshot. He looked impossibly old. "I've been awake long enough." Skari coughed hard and dry. "I owe you an explanation. You and your brother."

"Speak then." Anja's words were sharp; a fillet knife separating skin from meat and bone.

Skari coughed again, looking at Anja's waterskin. Anja didn't move.

Tokki huffed angrily at his sister and rummaged around at the bottom of his rucksack and pulled out his waterskin, giving it to the seer who accepted it with shaking, but grateful hands.

The seer took a small swig, promptly choked and coughed the water out. Tokki reached out towards him but the seer held up a hand. "It is fine," he croaked. "Thank you for the water."