Chapter 25 - Revelations in Falling Ash

They soared through the hinterlands toward the base of Miredale Mountain, the dragonling responding to Tokki intuitively. Tokki, for his part, could feel the dragon's fatigue building and hunger growing. There was a connection between the two of them that was tangible if not visible. Anja could sense nothing of the symbiosis, but instead busied herself securing the egg. She was content that Tokki was in control, even if she did not understand how. They flew low into a wide valley where a frothy braided river drained the glacial ice above.

Tokki shifted the reins, bringing the silvertail down next to the river, where there was a large pool churning with trout.

"Have a rest, fella. You were fantastic," he said patting the dragonling's neck before hopping down. Anja dismounted as well grabbing both her and Tokki's satchels.

The wind shifted from the south and a light dusting of ash began to fall on them. Anja looked toward the pass where a billowing cloud rose silently. The air felt heavy, an ethereal weight pressing down.

Tokki walked the dragonling over to the pool and made to remove its halter.

"Are you sure that is smart?" asked Anja. "If he flies off, the trip up to the Five-Cairn Pass will be a whole lot tougher." Anja started rummaging through the packs, checking on the egg and searching for food. She was suddenly very hungry.

"He won't fly off," Tokki said calmly. Then, when his sister had turned away, he removed the halter from the dragonling and whispered, "Please don't fly off."

The dragonling did nothing to acknowledge Tokki's request but proceeded to jump down into the river and splash about, pulling out arm-length fish and gleefully sliding them down his gullet.

Tokki walked over to where his sister was standing. He had been enjoying the dragonling's frenzied feeding so much that he hadn't noticed the apprehension that had taken hold of Anja. Her face was pale, the felted cloth in her hand.

"Tokki," she said with all the calm she could muster. "The vial is broken."

"What? No!" Tokki took the cloth and looked at the shattered remains of the moonglass vial, it's shards still flawless. The felt was damp - all that was left of the water he drowned himself to retrieve.

"When did you break it?" Anja demanded.

Tokki was taken aback. "When did I break it? It was fine when I put it in the bag. You saw it."

"And yet here it is. Broken." Anja's blood began to heat, thinking of all they had lost. The destruction of Fjallabak and the burning of the Bottomlands... For what? So her little runt brother could break the vial when they were so close to completing the geise?

The ash was falling more heavily now.

"Maybe you broke it," said Tokki hurt by his sister's accusations.

Anja just scoffed. "Clumsy runt."

Tokki turned away. He didn't want Anja to see how much she was hurting him. "How will we ever fulfill the geise now?" asked Tokki, his back facing his sister. "Please don't say we return to Ravendome... and Swan Lake."

Anja grimaced. "We will not be going backward," she resolved. "Geise or no geise, our way is forward."

"I do not disagree," said Tokki. "It is hard to see how a vial of water and a dragon's egg would assist us at all in a battle with Katla and her minions. And yet..."

"There is no 'and yet', Tokki. The geise was a farce - a fairy hunt. We danced for the gods' enjoyment at Ratatoskr's urging. If the gods want a show, I will give them a show. No more playing the prancing ptarmigan, I intend to face Katla with the same bravery our parents showed!" Anja was getting angrier the more she spoke. "I do not know gauldur. Maybe you do, brother. Maybe you are even Huldu, but I am not. I know that cold steel will see us through this better than any conjurer's trickery." She unsheathed her small sword and sliced the air to accentuating the point. If I am to die with a sword in my hand, let it be in glorious combat and not lost on some gods-forgotten plateau.