Waiting

I woke up the next morning, with my head laying on Duke's chest. I smiled, and slowly got up, trying not to wake him. I turned on his phone and looked at the time. 5:23AM it said. "Jesus, why do I keep getting up to early?" I asked myself quietly. I decided to take a shower, so I went in my room and grabbed some clothes. I didn't want to be too loud, so I just took one downstairs. Once I dried off got dressed, I realized I was getting really hungry. My head started to hurt, so I had to put some if the numbing cream on it, and put a new bandage on. I walked out of the bathroom and went into the kitchen to look for something to eat. There was barley anything. "Oh jeez, well I guess I'm going to the store." I said to myself. I wrote a note for Duke, letting him know that I went out. I wrote

"Goodmorning Duke, I hope you slept well last night. I woke up early and I wanted to eat something but there wasn't anything. So I'm going to the store to get some stuff. I'm going to use your car, I hope that's alright, but I'll see you when you wake up!

                                      - Stella ♡"

I wrote. I taped the note to the door, so Duke would see it when he woke up. I decided to walk over and give him a little peck on the lips. "I'll be back in a bit Duke." I whispered to him, even though he couldn't hear me I thought it would be nice to tell him anyway. I went back downstairs, grabbed Duke's keys, my wallet, and headed to the store. It was about 6:30AM and luckily Trader Joe's was open. To my suprise, I was the only one there. Except for the workers of course. It was early, but I excepted there to be at least a few people. Before I left I wrote a list of what we needed. As I was grabbing some milk, a worker came up and tapped me on the shoulder. "Excuse me miss?" He asks. He looked about my age. "Yes?" I question. "You're the only person here currently. And usually what we do when there's only one customer, is we asks what song they'd like us to play." He explains. "So would you like to suggest one?" He asks me. "Oh, um sure! How about, Heather, by Conan Gray. Is that alright?" I asked. "Yes, thank you." He says with a smile. He walks off and a few minutes later I hear the song start playing throughout the store. I had no idea that they did that, but I wasn't complaining. I started to hum along, as I continued to grab everything we needed. As I was walking to the check-out I saw this big, Halloween decorated cake. I instantly put it in the cart. "This looks so good." I said to myself. I walk over to the check-out and the same boy from earlier starts scanning the groceries. We were talking, and I helped put the groceries in the bags. Once we finish that up I thank him and head out, and walk to the car. Thankfully Duke had a big trunk, so I could fit all the groceries inside. There was a lot. I closed the trunk once I put all of the food in there, and put the cart away. I got in the car and started driving home. It was about 6:45AM once I got home. I unlocked the door and started to bring the bags back into the house. Once I got everything inside, I heard footsteps come downstairs. Duke walked down and was rubbing his eyes. "You went to the store?" He asks. "Yeah, you didn't see the note?" I question as I put the milk in the fridge. "What note?" He asked confused. "I taped it to your door before I left. I guess it fell or something." I said. "I took your car by the way, I hope that was okay. I would have asked you but there was hardly any food and I was getting really hungry." I said. "No, it's okay. Thank you for going though, you didn't have to." He says. "No it's okay, I don't mind." I said with a smile. Duke helps out, and we finish putting the groceries away. The cake was still on the counter so I put that in the fridge. "You bought a cake?" He asks. "Yeah, it looked really good, I kinda had to." I said with a giggle. "Well I'm looking forward to it." He said. "You should go back to bed, you seem pretty tired." I said. "Good idea, I'll be back out in a bit. Thank you again for going to the store." He says with a yawn. I smiled at him as he walks back upstairs. My stomach began to growl again, so I decided to eat some cereal. I headed over to the couch and watched some YouTube on the TV. About an hour later, I hear the shower turn on.

   As I watched YouTube, my phone started vibrating. Kali was calling me again. "Hey, what's up?" I said as I answered. "I'm about to get on my flight. I'll probably be home tomorrow morning, around like 11:00 probably." She says. "Would you need us to pick you up?" I ask. "No, I'll just call an uber." She tells me. "Okay, sounds good. Also, Duke is going to spend the night at our house so he can meet you tomorrow." I told her. "Oh my God, okay, that is amazing!" She says excitedly. I just chuckled and talked to her a bit more until she had to go. "Okay, I gotta go. I'll see you both tomorrow. Love you Stella!" She says. "Love you too girl, see you tomorrow." I said as I hang up. Duke comes back downstairs. "Kali just called, she'll be home tomorrow morning, around 11:00 or so." I said to him. "Okay, does she need a ride?" He asks. "No she said that she'll just call an uber once she gets to the airport." I told him. "Oh okay, sounds good then." He says.

Duke and I watched YouTube together for a few hours. "How about we go to your house now?" Duke suggests. "I was actually just about to say that." I said. "Oh, well that works then." He giggles. "I'll go pack up my stuff." I said as I run upstairs. I walked into Duke's bathroom to grab my toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, and everything else I brought with me. I put everything back in the bags I brought with me, and walk downstairs. "Toss me one of your bags." Duke says as he stands at the bottom of the stairs. I tossed it to him and he caught it, but he fell over. I immediately started laughing. "A-are y-you okay?" I asked, struggling to speak. "Yeah." He giggles. Duke and I laughed about it for a while. Once we both calmed down, we put my bags in the car and were about to leave. "Wait! We forgot checks!" I said, while unbuckling my seatbelt. "Oh my god, how did we forget him." Duke says. We rush to the front door and open it. "Hi boy, I'm sorry, we almost forgot you!" Duke says. "I'll grab his food, and his dog bed and a few toys." I said. "It's only one day isn't it?" Duke questions as he picks up checks. "Yeah, but we want him to feel at home don't we?" I question, as I grab his food from the pantry. Duke nods, "Yeah okay that makes sense." He says.  I grabbed both of his bowls and stacked them on top of eachother. I had his bag of food in one arm, and his bed in the other. I walked out to the car and put everything inside. Duke is grabbing some toys, and then locks up the house. I'm standing next to the car, and Duke puts checks in the back seat. I get in the car, and Checks immediately jumps up to the front seat with me. Duke gives a cute smile to us both, and starts the car. "You remember where it is right?" I asked Duke, while petting checks. "Yes, I think." Duke says. "I'll let you figure it out." I giggled.