8: "You Aren't Fooling Anyone."

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

"𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝙰𝚛𝚎𝚗'𝚝 𝙵𝚘𝚘𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙰𝚗𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎."

Figuring out my financial aid is probably the most stressful part of the entire year. It's been a week since classes started, and you'd think that the system would have my money figured out by now, but yet again I found myself waiting three hours just to speak to some random woman who looked like it physically pained her to be doing her job to finally get the money released to buy my books.

Most people wait awhile to buy their books for the semester, but I like to be prepared. I always have. School is the one thing in my life that I felt like I can control. Getting good grades has never been hard, and my mother has always raved to all her friends throughout my high school years about how her only son is going to be a hot shot doctor one day. If I don't maintain my damn near perfect GPA I'll lose my full-ride, and that's something I can't risk. My one goal is to make her proud of me if it's the last thing I do. After all I've done, she deserves that at least.

I have the flimsy piece of paper with the list of books in my hands as I scan the shelves. When I grab the brand new literature book, I strum my thumb against the pages and inhale the smell of the newness. I'd never tell anyone how much I enjoy the smell of a new book. My boys would never let me live it down. They don't even know that I'm on a full-ride here. The only person that knows is Dion, and he knows better than to spill that to anyone. I want to be normal. I don't want to be known as the nerd that's trying to become a doctor.

"Xavier?"

I turn around and see my biology professor from last year in the aisle across from me. She gets a huge smile on her face, beaming from ear to ear. Ms. Hartford was probably my favorite professor I've had since being at Florida state. Her tests were always easy, yet challenging at the same time. I learned a lot from her.

"Hey Ms. Hart." I send her a smile back as I make my way over towards her. Out of the corner of my eye I see Elena enter into the store though, my face immediately going pale. Fuck. Why the hell does she have to turn up everywhere that I'm at? It's like God is just trying to tempt me.

Ms. Hartford goes on about the upcoming semester, but all I can focus on is Elena's ass in her leggings as she's analyzing the backpacks arranged on the wall. She hasn't seen me yet thankfully, because if she had, I know she'd want to know why the hell I'm in the bookstore to begin with. I know she thinks I'm some dumb fraternity asshole. I'd like to keep it that way.

"I'm sure that you're excited for the semester." Ms.Hartford smiles when I finally tune into her conversation. "You were one of the smartest kids I've ever had, Xavier. It was refreshing to have someone so interested in my class."

At that, Elena turns around and immediately spots me. Fuck.

"Uh, yeah..." I trail off awkwardly and scratch the back of my head, setting down the literature book on a random shelf. I'll buy my books another time. I just need to get the hell out of here. "I mean, biology was cool. I've gotta get back home though. I'm late for something."

I leave her standing confused and go to exit the store, but something about Elena stops me in my tracks. I thought she'd care that I'm here, or be interested in figuring out why I'm in the bookstore, but it seems as if she just couldn't care less. I should be okay with that, right? Why am I wanting her to care? I don't like that she's different from the other girls. I know about her addiction, but damn. She doesn't even want to talk to me?

Talk to me?

Since when the fuck have I wanted a girl to just talk to me?

I put the smug grin on that seems to fool everyone but her and tap her on the shoulder. She glances towards me, smiles, and rolls her eyes. "Yes, Xavier?"