Planning

Chat Blanc knew he had to protect Marinette. He had ordered this monster to kill her, and after rendering her virtually powerless with only one earring. Cauchenoir was just a few feet from sinking its outstretched claws into her, and Chat's heart was about to beat out of his chest. In a moment of split second thinking, he readied his staff and extended it, knocking the corrupted akuma away from her and onto its side. The creature landed with a growl, eyes narrowing to slits as it saw Chat Blanc grab Marinette by the hand and begin to run off with her. It stood up, giving chase once more. 

Marinette's mind flashed back to the school. The brown-haired corpse falling onto Adrien's chest, the hollow sound as it slumped onto the floor, the screams, the way Adrien clung to her hand, holding onto her tightly as they ran from Chat Blanc. The image of his bloodstained claws clung to her mind as she looked down at her own hand, encased in white. She shook her head as a panic, deeper than the wild and instinctive fear of predatory animals, began to surface. 

Marinette closed her eyes, shutting out what was happening around her so she could get a clear thought process. The hand holding hers did not have white gloves, it had black gloves. The monster behind her wasn't Chat Noir, it was a regular akuma. She was not Marinette, she was Ladybug, but she was slowly detransforming and she had to act fast. 

Marinette racked her brain, her train of thought jolting as Chat Blanc tugged her around a corner. The akuma was in the bell again, for real this time. All she needed to do was get it off of the monster. An array of plans snapped into place. Pacify the beast like before, distract it and have Chat go on the attack, both her and Chat turn around for a surprise attack- no, it might not bring Cauchenoir down. Strategies were shot down left and right, only a few staying for consideration. Marinette's imaginary costume faded further, she had to think faster. Her train of thought crashed headfirst into a brick wall.

Her earring.

She needed her earring. 

Turn around, head back to where she fell, grab the earring, transform, grab the bell with her yo-yo. Her mind said just a bit too quickly. Restore Chat Noir, defeat Chat Blanc. Marinette noticed the flaw instantly. If they turned around directly, they'd either bump straight into Cauchenoir or have to lose all momentum. They'd have to take a longer way around or figure something else out. 

Without that earring, she'd never be able to end this nightmare.