three. nearly

THE GILMORE HOUSE was in full debutante ball swing, even louder than usual. With Chris home to "present" Rory or something like that — Sissy still wasn't entirely sure what the whole "Coming Out Ball" was, besides the fact that it eerily reminded her of a wedding. Lorelai, of course, could be heard nearly every hour arguing with Emily Gilmore on the phone, something that had just become background noise after the millionth time they'd fought over stockings or crinoline — it all mushed together in her brain at one point. The whole idea of a ball was just sickening, especially since she'd have to spend the night with Dean; the mere thought of it made her gag.

It wasn't a shock to many that Sissy immediately hated Dean once they met. She didn't like they way he slithered his way into her house, into her family, into her life. One day the name Dean meant nothing to the Gilmore Girls and then suddenly it was Dean this and Dean that. The whole things just weirded her out ( especially after seeing them kiss — absolutely disgusting ). Somehow, she warmed up to him slowly, emphasize on slowly, but watching him freak out about the debutant ball was highly amusing to her. He seemed less thrilled with the ball then Lorelai, if possible, which was almost laughable. The only person in the house that seemed remotely excited was Rory, and Emily, of course, when she wasn't yelling over the phone. "Sissy, Emily wants to make sure you have a date," Lorelai hollered, making her roll her eyes. "Elliot said he'd come." She grabbed a soda from the fridge, slightly able to hear Emily Gilmore through the phone, yelling.

"I am so not into this whole ball thing," she laughed, bringing her soda into the living room. "You're talking, I have to wear a tux," Dean groaned, making her laugh. "With a tail," Lane, who was next to him, added, making him freeze. "What?" Sissy laughed, hearing Lorelai yelling over the phone in the background. "Yeah, according to this it says that all escorts must be properly attired in black tails, white cumberbuns, and white gloves," Lane read. "Oh how very Andy Hardy," Sissy chuckled, grabbing the invitation from Lane. "I'm sure the gloves are optional," Rory assured, earning a head shake from Sissy. "Nope, it's required," she affirmed, "Sorry Dean-o." Dean's mouth was wide open as he grabbed the invitation from Sissy. "Remember Neil Young. Remember that you love me. Remember that I'll be watching BattleBots with you for a month," Rory pleaded with a smile. He sighed, giving up. "Show me Neil Young again." Sissy chuckled, "Atta boy."

ೃ࿐

While Chris' arrival was a massive deal in the Gilmore house, Sissy didn't feel like it was the place for her at that exact second. Of course she waved to Chris, but he wasn't her dad, no matter how much he tried to pretend to be. She wasn't even blood related to him, can't he take a hint? Lucky for her, she had a perfect excuse; Marls was embroidering her dress for the stupid ball and she had to pick it up, and, the less fun one, get a job at Luke's. She tapped her foot as she waited for Marls outside of Luke's. "Come on," she grumbled, looking for her. She wasn't eager to step into the home of, in her words, "mortal enemy", and Marls' lateness wasn't making any of it easier.

"Sissy!" She turned her head to spot Marls,
running across the street, holding a massive dress box. "You're late, Marls," she scolded jokingly. Marls flipped her off, handing her the box. "You owe me, you can't complain," she corrected. "Oh my gosh, I love it!" Sissy bubbled, opening the box and feeling the fabric. "I'm so glad," Marls chuckled, "Now, ready to get a job?" Sissy groaned, "Don't remind me."

       She opened the door, holding the box. "Hey Luke!" She called, setting the box down on the counter. "Oh, hey Sissy." She smoothed out her skirt as she hopped on the stool, resting her head in her hands. "Are you meeting, uh," Luke stammered, making her sigh. "Lorelai isn't coming," she clarified, making him cough nervously. "I wasn't—" Sissy laughed, "Sure, Luke." Her eyes scanned the dinner — for what, she wasn't sure. Not satisfied by her scan, she returned her eyes to Luke. "So, Luke, huge favor to ask," she said, pushing the dress box to the side. "Oh boy," he muttered, turning to face her. "So, as you know, I'm in band, and I'm also broke." He nodded, unsure of where the conversation was going. "Anyways, we need new equipment, and for that we need money, so I need a job." She noticed the confusion on his face, biting her lip. "I'm asking if I could work here."

       "Oh!" Was all he said, making her go into full on rambling mode. "Well, I mean, you don't have to pay me that much and I completely understand if you—" He cut her off with a "Sissy", making her stop talking. "I'd be happy to have you work here. You could help keep Jess on track," he signaled towards the steps, which she assuming led to the boy. "Luke, I cant thank you enough!" She smiled, high-fiving Marls. "You won't regret it!" Luke half smiled at her enthusiasm, half terrified at it. "Okay, no need to get so loud." She smiled, sitting back down.

Suddenly, loud footsteps on the stairs made her turn her head. "You're late, again," Luke scolded, Jess making his way to the end of the steps. "Gee Uncle Luke, I'm sorry," he answered, annoyed, glancing at Sissy, and the massive box next to her. "What's in the box?" She rolled her eyes, bringing the box closer to her. "It's her dress for Rory's— What was it again?" Marla asked, turning to face her. "Her coming out party," she grumbled. "Doesn't she have a boyfriend?" Sissy nearly ( just nearly ) laughed, but she held her scowl on her face. "It's some rich people shit, Rory's too easy to manipulate," she clarified, him nodding. She was almost shocked that they hadn't already argued, it almost felt off to her. The two just sat in awkward silence, Marls observing it. Sissy refused to look at him, staring at the box instead.

       "Well, I should go," she said, nodding. Jess looked away, making Sissy's stomach sink for a reason she didn't know. "Bye Luke! Thanks again!" She called, grabbing her box. As soon as they stepped a foot outside of Luke's, Marls spun her around. "What was that," she asked, a small smile on her face. "What was what?" Sissy asked, unaware of the slight smile on her face. "You and Jess 'Mortal Enemy' Mariano had a conversation without killing each other," she said, shoving the brunette lightly. "No one can argue when they talk about Rory; she's the great peacemaker."

       "Okay, Sissy, sure," Marls laughed as the two headed home, one thing still running through Sissy's head: I didn't completely hate talking to him.

authors note: shorter chapter but a) stan marls bc shes babie and b) the plots going to just get crazier from here c) the next chapter is longer