6. Red Collar

TW ~ This chapter contains mentions of violence, blood, and fainting ~ TW

George's POV

I follow Clay through a street I had not seen before. He said he knows a place where we can find me some clothes. I only have my ripped jeans, my shirt, and the blue borrowed hoodie, all which I have been wearing for two and a half days straight. Clay offered to wash them, but that'd mean I'd have no clothes until everything was dried, and I believe that's not the most comfortable position I could be in.

Clay is wearing his mask, like he does outside of what I now call 'the bunker'. I remember what Bad told me about the scouts, and I look around cautiously, trying to spot any figures behind windows or peeking over walls, but I don't see anyone.

We get to a building, which looks like it used to be a pharmacy. Clay explained to me that many of the people living out here have taken refuge in old houses and stores, which is potentially dangerous. Most buildings haven't been kept up with in tens of years, and the walls could collapse with a big storm. That's why he's taken the bunker to use.

I've found out that Clay has amazing attention to detail. He found the bunker when examining the ground, he knew some houses would have somewhat of a downstairs place, and he expected that at least some of those should have an outside entrance. He happened to stumble across the trap door, and took it upon himself to fix the place up a bit. He outsmarted The Hyenas with his dubious route, scouts could never keep up with him if they tried.

In front of the old shop, Clay turns to me, his mask covering his expression, but I have a feeling he's about to give me some bad news.

"So basically, this guy is a wizard when it comes to making clothes, but, he is very mistrusting," he tells me. "His friend was recruited by The Hyenas, and rumor has it he felt so betrayed that he will never make another friend again."

Poor guy, that must be awful.

"You can say hello, and tell him your name, but he will not let you in, so I'm afraid you have to wait outside for just a little bit." I hear the concern in Clay's voice. "Will you be okay?"

"I'll be fine, if anyone's watching they know you're only a yell away," I say, and I hear a soft grin come from behind the mask.

"Alright then." Clay follows the same routine as he did at Bad's place, looking through a window and following with a rhythmic knock, probably a secret code as if to tell the person inside who is requesting them. Before the door opens, I count the amount of locks being undone behind the door. Nine. This guy really does not want any intruders. A small, brown haired boy peeks his head through the door, blue eyes growing wide as he spots my unfamiliar face. As he is about to slam the door shut again, Clay sticks his foot in the opening.

"You know the rules, Dream," the boy hisses, just loud enough for me to hear.

"Hey, no, it's okay. He's new. He's with me. He'll wait outside, just like you wish, but I just wanted you to know his name. Is that okay with you?" Clay says, as if he's talking to his own child. The boy's hesitant eyes drift from Clay to me, and then back to Clay.

"Fine," he says at last. I take a careful step forward, not too much, as to not startle him again. He must have seen the worst and then some to have such a reaction to an unknown face.

"My name's George," I tell him carefully, making sure I do not invade any of his space. He inspects me from top to bottom, analyzing everything he can about me.

"Tubbo," he responds. "You wait outside, only Dream enters."

I nod, understanding the rules he has set. Clay walks through the door and immediately after that, it's closed again, and I hear the locks sliding on. I can't help but feel pity for him. He must feel so alone. I wonder how many of the people here he trusts. Obviously he's built some trust with Clay, otherwise he wouldn't let him in, let alone introduce me. He looked to be very young still. Maybe not even eighteen yet.