Chapter 3 - Confessions

About two hours later, Anastasia came out into the kitchen, dressed in clean clothes she had stored in her suitcase. She also had freshly wrapped bandages on her wounds.

"Come have some tea, Anastasia!" Andrei playfully teased.

Anastasia gawked. He just shared her identity in front of his Aunt! She knew she couldn't trust him. Anastasia made a obvious face of worry mixed with annoyance at Andrei while he laughed.

"I told Dasia. I promise she won't tell anyone, I made her swear."

After finishing breakfast, Andrei retreated to his bedroom and returned to the kitchen with fresh clothes on. He knew he'd soon burn his blood-stained uniform.

"I must go to town to fetch a few things. I've thought about stopping at the river after so I may be a while."

Anastasia rushed over to Andrei, who was by the door, ready to leave. "May I come with you?"

"You shouldn't. People will spot you and report us. Then I'll get in trouble and you will be killed. No second choices."

"I promise I won't say a word. I'll keep my head down. My name is now Anya," Anastasia pleaded.

Andrei knew of the freedom she'd been stripped of in the Ipatiev house. He knew the sacrifices she and her family had to make. When you want something it's hard to ignore the temptation. That made Andrei reconsider.

The two left the house as the morning sun rose into the sky.

Walking through Ekaterinburg, the town she'd been limited to explore while locked in that house for months, Anastasia had never felt more alive, more limitless, more...free.

Freedom. What a beautiful word. It felt good finally being outside of that house. That prison. That hellhole. That slaughterhouse.

Andrei watched as she tripped along, her loud cheerful laughter filling the air. Her glittering blue eyes shone brightly in the sunshine and her short bob of strawberry blonde hair shimmered in the sun as she twirled. The spirit of Anastasia Romanov was slowly being restored.

When Andrei finally brought the groceries he needed, the two took the electric tram to the Iset River. They strolled on a bridge above the rushing water as the sun began to set.

"It's so great being out. Living in that house was hell." Anastasia stated as they both leaned on the railing.

"Yes, it was. I hated being there." Andrei shuddered in agreement.

"Then why did you go to it?"

"For work but I truly didn't realize what I was getting myself into."

"Were you forced? To take part in it?" Anastasia asked, her eyes fixed on the water.

Andrei knew what she meant.

"No. Although Yakov shamed me for it. I couldn't bear the thought of...killing people."

"But all of those dirty men did."

"Most of them didn't want to. Yakov forced them. They all especially didn't want to kill you girls."

"Well, they did." Anastasia put her chin in her palm, trying to sound unphased but a twinge of hurt seeped through her voice. "Wait, why were you in the cellar?"

"I was going to save Maria. I'm still surprised to have saved you instead."

"I thank you for that." she said, ignoring the part about saving her sister instead of her. "Who knows what they would have done to me if you never did. If they were to finish me off or keep me alive."

Shivers traveled down Andrei's spine. He didn't want to know.

"My family all knew this was to happen one day."

"What was going to happen?" Andrei asked.

" The inevitable was to occur."

Andrei's heart sank.

"I had that feeling in the depth of my gut when we were awoken and told to dress. Everyone wanted to think we were leaving, my mother and father especially. I wanted to believe that too, with all my heart and soul. But I knew. There was no more hope for us anywhere. And then the inevitable was there, ready to take us."

Anastasia looked at Andrei, taking into account what she had said. "I'm sorry-"

"No, I'm sorry. I never knew this." Andrei put his hand on hers. As soon as he did, Anastasia flinched. He backed away to gain her trust.

"Thank you again for saving me." Anastasia brushed off the scare. "For risking your life for mine, letting me stay with you."

"You're leaving?"

"I must go live with my Grandmama. Or some distant relatives of mine. Someone must know I am alive. The rest of my family is...dead." Saying that word left a bad taste on her tongue. "I couldn't possibly live with you."

Those words hurt Andrei. He had started to develop a crush on Anastasia. She was sweet and kind-hearted, and funny. He liked her very much and wanted her to be in his life but was scared she didn't feel the same.

Sad and curious with a burning desire to know, Andrei stepped off the bridge and started the walk home.