Chapter 25 - Horses & Dogs

On July seventeenth, the girls were mournful.

That day was the first anniversary of the night in the cellar.

One year had passed.

One year without their family.

The girls both wished this was all just a dream. They would wake up and be back at home in Russia, at their beloved Alexander Palace with all of their family and friends. As much as they wished, it would never come true. One thought swirled in their minds ever since their killing.

Where was their family?

The girls knew they were dead, but where were the bodies? Andrei had said that Yakov Yurosky disposed of the bodies in the woods. Unfortunately, he did not know the location. Were they buried deep in the ground? Given to someone? They figured someone must know the answer.

After that day, the girls opened up more. They had to accept the fact that their family was gone.

During this time, now twelve-year-old Vasili and Anastasia had a sort of cousin rivalry. Anastasia had played a few pranks on him and he tried to get back at her multiple times but failed.

"You can't prank the great Shvibzik. She pranks you." Maria explained one day to Vasili when he tried to ask her what Anastasia's weaknesses were.

Once when Vasili wanted to attack her from behind, Anastasia simply pushed him to the ground and pinned him down until his screams to stop finally went through to her.

"Can't you control her!? You're her aunt!?" Vasili asked his mother one morning while getting ready.

"Vasi dear. I've tried for eighteen years. You can't." Xenia chuckled.

One day in late July, five horses were brought to the house. Once given this news, Anastasia demanded she ride one.

"Vasili!" she called to him as she passed the open door to the saloon while he was inside. "Do you want to come riding with me?"

Vasili really didn't. He didn't want to be pranked or tricked by Anastasia again. But he felt this time would be different.

'The great Shvibzik's reputation will be ruined today!'

"Sure."

They both walked out into the warm July air to the stable to see a stable young boy brushing the horses. Anastasia quickly mounted a strong chestnut-colored one by herself while the boy helped Vasili get on a cream-colored horse.

"Do you even ride?" Anastasia laughed when he finally made it on.

"Yes," he answered, his chest puffed out as he pulled the reins.

He did ride, but he hadn't in a while. Anastasia pulled on her reins, making the horse trot away.

"Wait up!" Vasili followed.

They both made it to the pebble driveway in front of the house where Anastasia challenged Vasili to a race.

"One lap around the house. The winner gets the other's dessert tonight."

Vasili paused. He knew his mother was making her famous blackberry tarts tonight.

"Fine. Deal."

Anastasia counted down, and they were off.

Anastasia was only about a few feet in front of him. Vasili knew he had to win. He shut his eyes, snapping the reins. When he opened, he saw no one behind him or in front. The race was coming to an end; Vasili was confident he would win. Just as he went to the finish mark, Anastasia sped past him. She crossed it just before he did.

"Haha! Victory!" Anastasia cheered once she had stopped her horse.

Vasili sighed - it was impossible.

Completely impossible.

-

A month after the horse race, the mail arrived with shocking news. A letter had been addressed to the Romanov sisters. The girls both traveled outside to the back courtyard terrace, where they both sat on lawn chairs positioned under the shade. Maria tore open the letter and read it aloud.

August 12th, 1919

Dear Maria & Anastasia Romanov,

My name is Paul Rodzianko. I am 38 years old and I served with the British Expeditionary Force.  I saw from the newspapers that you are staying at the Sandringham House. I have exciting news! While with my troops last year in Russia, we traveled to the Ipatiev house about a week after the execution of the former Tsar and his family. There I managed to find  Alexei Romanov's little dog. The poor thing was running outside in the house's courtyard. I figure he escaped the cellar or was left outside to starve. No worries though, I've brought him here to England with me. He is safe and well. Since he is rightfully yours, I would like to return him to you.

Sincerely, Paul Rodzianko.

"He's safe. Joy's safe." Maria hugged the letter to her chest.

"We have to write him back!" Anastasia rushed.

"It's a sign!" Maria whispered.

"What is?"

"From Alexei! His dog is safe! It's August twelfth - his fourteenth birthday." Maria looked up at the sky.

A week later, the three Romanovs awaited Paul on the house's front steps. After waiting for about five minutes, a black car parked in front of the house.

Once the car door had opened, out jumped a small white and brown cocker spaniel. Joy backed away for a moment, then realized he knew the girls and ran to each of them, not sure who to smell first. Anastasia hugged him tightly as the dog licked her face. A moment later, Paul stepped out of the car.

"Thank you so much for saving Joy!" Maria threw her arms around Paul.

"Do come in!" Anastasia welcomed him.

They guided the man into the saloon, where they sat him down and called for a cup of hot tea for him. Just as Paul was about to tell the story of finding Joy, Xenia walked into the room, shocked to see the long-lost pup.

"Joy!" Xenia kissed him on his head.

"I bathed him as soon as we arrived in Omsk" Paul explained. "Poor baby was dirty, cold, and extremely malnourished. Luckily I had some leftover food scraps with me when I found him, so I fed him that. We traveled from across Russia before returning to England. Oh, thank you." Paul said as Oliver handed him his teacup.

Paul stayed for about an hour until he decided to return home. He walked over to Joy, who lay on the floor by Anastasia's feet.

"I'll miss you, buddy. Be a good doggy." he scratched the dog's head one last time before Oliver walked him out.

As the girls lay in bed that night, Joy in Maria's bed, Anastasia began to cry.

"What's wrong?" Maria asked, concerned.

"I-it's Joy!"

"Aren't you happy to see him?"

"I am! It's just..why didn't the soldiers spare Jimmy too!"

Anastasia had owned a dog. A King Charles spaniel named Jimmy.

While in the cellar that unfortunate night, Anastasia had been holding the dog in her arms as the first shots were fired. The dog didn't make it.

Tatiana had also owned a dog. A small french bulldog named Ortipo. He had been left in the girl's rooms that night. Anastasia remembered as she ran to her room to grab her suitcase that night that Oritpo was gone, but she didn't realize then. She knew the dog was dead.

"Oh, sweet Nastasia," Maria whispered as Anastasia's cries became louder.

Maria felt terrible for her sister. She had been the only child to not own a pet of her own. Olga had her very own little kitten named Vaska, Tatiana had Ortipo, Anastasia owned Jimmy, and Alexei had been gifted Joy.

Depressed by her sister's cries, Maria drifted off to sleep, stroking Joy's head as she did.

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒆𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑹𝒐𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒗On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara