Chapter 24 - 6.26.1899

A week passed and Maria awoke to see Anastasia standing over her.

"Happy twentieth birthday Mashka!" Anastasia shouted.

The rest of the day was filled with fun and presents as Anastasia led Maria around the house and outside on a scavenger hunt to find her gifts. After that, the girls took a dip in one of the ponds with their new swimming dresses. 

When asked where they had gotten them by Grandmama, Oliver stated he got one for Maria as a birthday present and couldn't bear not getting one for Anastasia so, he had simply gotten them both and gave them to the girls before breakfast.

Before swimming, Anastasia had moved the rope used on her birthday and tied it onto a tree overlooking the pond.

"Watch out Mashka!" Anastasia shouted as she took a few steps back and positioned herself, both hands on the rope and feet planted firmly on the ground. She got a running start, both hands still on the rope. She charged towards the water and hung on the rope as it soared above the murky water, letting out a mighty roar as she did. Once hanging above, Anastasia let go and plunged into the water.

 When onshore, Anastasia snapped a photo of Maria as she swam in the water.

(Maria between 1915-1916 just my guess)

After swimming until sunset, dinner was served and after, a strawberry jam-filled victoria sponge cake was baked. Presents were given in the saloon. A new perfume from Alexandra. A pocket watch from grandmama. Pencils, pens, and a new sketchbook from Xenia and Vasili. Finally, new lilac perfume, a painting she had made, hair ribbons, a new outdoor hat, gloves, ice skates, and a necklace chain and pearl from Anastasia. Just as Maria had.

"Thanks for today. The scavenger hunt was brilliant." Maria said as she turned her lamp off and climbed into bed. 

"Of course Mashka. You're the best sister I could ever ask for." Anastasia said as she closed her eyes.

"No, you are Shvibzik!" Maria laughed. A few moments passed. 

"Shvibzik?"

But Anastasia didn't answer. She was already asleep, exhausted from the day.